What about this suggestion ....

Feedback on anything site related. Forum issues and the Traders to Avoid list
DaMaN

What about this suggestion ....

Post by DaMaN »

Have we ever considered a way to freshen up the front page? We don't post much anymore (except for dadx2mj, which I appreciate) on there and perhaps we need a change to help create more traffic. When we are goggled ([url]http://www.pcabusers.com)[/url] the homepage usually is what new visitors see first, the reviews are old and the setup is pretty outdated with no references to newer online bookmark tools like digg, del.icio.us or Reddit. I just wanted to see if anyone has any ideas for sprucing it up and attracting more return traffic. Perhaps a "Deals" or a "coupon code" page would bring back potential shoppers to the site several times a day? Similar to Fat Wallet or other like sites they get tons of hits a day and new traffic would do us well and may help us spur up some new membership interaction. I am in no way advocating nor am I in the position to facilitate change but simply trying to generate some constructive conversation.... :s mile
Invisible Evil

Post by Invisible Evil »

Dude I am with you..I however cannot do that kind of stuff at all.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Any suggestions are appreciated. This is YOUR home and you can all tell us where you want to take it. Me, I have simple tastes. This has basically become a geek social networking site for me (think Facebook without the ugly pages) but that doesn't mean that's what the rest of you want from it.

One good thing though is that the ENTIRE site (including the BBS) is indexed by Google, which is why I post technical discussions and mini-reviews in the forums. I've personally never been too concerned with the main page - I never go there myself as I have the BBS main page bookmarked.

Maybe I should start posting some of my tech blog posts on the main page? I dunno. I haven't even kept up with my own blog.
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

DaMaN

Post by DaMaN »

FlyingPenguin wrote:Any suggestions are appreciated. This is YOUR home and you can all tell us where you want to take it. Me, I have simple tastes. This has basically become a geek social networking site for me (think Facebook without the ugly pages) but that doesn't mean that's what the rest of you want from it.

One good thing though is that the ENTIRE site (including the BBS) is indexed by Google, which is why I post technical discussions and mini-reviews in the forums. I've personally never been too concerned with the main page - I never go there myself as I have the BBS main page bookmarked.

Maybe I should start posting some of my tech blog posts on the main page? I dunno. I haven't even kept up with my own blog.
Exactly, if anything your tech tips and guides would bring some life to the frontpage, even your warning about the DNS attack vulnerability would most definitely been newsworthy. I know it is extra work but we all should chip in, is the new reader submission thingy working? Perhaps we all use it more often and help add some new content on that forum. Perhaps a random "Funny You Tube video" of the day link / window would bring some motion and life to the front page.

Thanks for educating me FP, I never knew the whole the entire site was indexed by google....good to know. :s mile
Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

DaMaN wrote:Exactly, if anything your tech tips and guides would bring some life to the frontpage, even your warning about the DNS attack vulnerability would most definitely been newsworthy. I know it is extra work but we all should chip in, is the new reader submission thingy working? Perhaps we all use it more often and help add some new content on that forum. Perhaps a random "Funny You Tube video" of the day link / window would bring some motion and life to the front page.

Thanks for educating me FP, I never knew the whole the entire site was indexed by google....good to know. :s mile
Good ideas. I like the youtube video suggestion, and FP's excellent tips.

How about a section on free downloads such as AV apps with links attached? I always find myself searching the OS forum for a previous software link that someone posted a valuable utility.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Hate to admit this but I've never posted on any news items so someone needs to PM me and tell me how to do it.... {sheepish grin}
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

normalicy

Post by normalicy »

Yeah, I admit that I never go to the main page, because it is obviously outdated.
darcy

Post by darcy »

good suggestions,, a little facelift would not hurt the front page :)

i notice when you click on the link to submit news, email proggie opens up,, ~ is that email still valid? who checks it? can news items have a link for people to comment upon them?
i remember when i was admin/mod @ prior forum, news could be submitted by any member; it would then be put in a queue in admin control panel for approval. { which is why i ask if the EM addy is still valid }

FP,, loads of your posts are newsworthy!
Briquette, 1992 - 2008 ~ < Forever In Our Hearts >

Lily, 1995 - 2009 ~ < Forever In Our Hearts >

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched.
They must be felt with the heart. ~ Helen Keller.
eGoCeNTRoNiX

Post by eGoCeNTRoNiX »

I know how to do it, but don't remember my user/pass.. You'll have to shoot Dad or maybe John a PM asking as they may have the info/links needed.

eGo
PM before Email People!!
Heat Under eGoCeNTRoNiX :)
Who Farted? BEANIE!!!
!Welcome to the United States of the Offended!
TheSovereign

Post by TheSovereign »

Id like to be able to post my project pages on the front page, I do a lot of stuff but i don't post because the forum seems uninterested. maybe others would like to see?
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67rc96joOz8#t=0m58s">YodelRoll!</a>
<a href="http://www.halfinchbullet.com/">Goto HalfInchBullet.com!</a>
DaMaN

Post by DaMaN »

TheSovereign wrote:Id like to be able to post my project pages on the front page, I do a lot of stuff but i don't post because the forum seems uninterested. maybe others would like to see?
I'd like to see!!! ::
renovation

Post by renovation »

TheSovereign wrote:Id like to be able to post my project pages on the front page, I do a lot of stuff but i don't post because the forum seems uninterested. maybe others would like to see?
me to and a face lift to.
also some front page link to some of the forums as in (Sizzlin' Deals) might help. everyones looking for a way to save or free product now a days !
the Last time I was Talking to myself . I got into such a heated argument . that is why I swore I never talk to that guy again. you know what it worked now no buddy talking to me. :help
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Face lift might be more than we can chew on right now. I'd have to go through the BBS software manual. I know it's not easy to make changes - Mike had a hard time last time he had to make some changes.

But I'm all for seeing more articles. Sov, I'd love to see some of your projects posted.

Let me get with Dad and see how the news posting works.