No New Posts anymore?

Feedback on anything site related. Forum issues and the Traders to Avoid list
Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

Executioner wrote:It works for me in both Chrome and FF. Maybe you guys should quit using Edge Browser. :lol
LOL

I'm using the same black/yellow theme since day 1. Nothing's changed there.
I doubt it's the https, as that never affected it.
I have never had the reply message not appear. It has always appeared for me.

Odd
------------------------------------------

Pugsley

Post by Pugsley »

So on my laptop it does not work but when I am at home on my PC it works fine... and I haven't done anything to my laptop that i know of. Also tried deleting cookies and now it still doesn't work even tho I had to log in and it showed new post but when i clicked on new post it says none are new.
[align=center]A self-aware artificial intelligence would suffer from a divide by zero error if it were programmed to be Amish[/align]
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

It's the inconsistency that puzzles me. Why does it work sometimes and not others, or on some PCs and not others?
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Pugsley

Post by Pugsley »

Yeah it has me baffled too. The first time i deleted the cookie for new post it worked. Then i came back later and saw there were new post but the new post button said no. Deleted the cookie again and this time that didnt fix it. So I have no ideal why this laptop has problems with it.
[align=center]A self-aware artificial intelligence would suffer from a divide by zero error if it were programmed to be Amish[/align]
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Like I said before, I never even knew about this feature, but I've been using it on my Surface Pro the past week in Metro version of IE, and been working for me.

Haven't tried it enough in Firefox on the workstation, but I have in the past noticed that forums will be marked as having new posts when they don't. Refreshing has always cleared that, and I have always assumed it was a caching issue with Firefox. That's been happening for years.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

renovation

Post by renovation »

working on my laptop computer using Chrome .
the Last time I was Talking to myself . I got into such a heated argument . that is why I swore I never talk to that guy again. you know what it worked now no buddy talking to me. :help
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

One theory that the web host offered was that they recently upgraded the version of PHP on our server, and vBulletin IS broken by newer versions.

They upgraded us from PHP 5.4 to 5.6 so they rolled us back to 5.4 and they want to know if that fixes the problem.

So please let me know if it persists or seems to have gone away.

Thanks.

Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

Well, it never worked from work and today it worked. Not it'll matter much since these morons are letting me go next week. LOL

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Well I'm hoping that rolling back the PHP version fixes it, or else that we can live with it. As I said I never even knew about the new post page. I just scroll down through the main forum page and look for a "New Post" icon next to a sub forum and that always worked for me, although I can see how the new posts page would be convenient.

I contacted vBulletin about upgrading, and we could upgrade to version 4, which is compatible with the latest PHP versions (assuming that this issue really IS related to the PHP version). The rub is that I don't have the credentials for the vBulletin license since Mike never gave them to me before he passed, so I'd have to buy a full license for $249 (not that an upgrade is all THAT much cheaper at $209).

That's a chunk of change. I think I'd rather try to setup an open source PHPBB forum instead and convert the forum database (there are free conversion utilities out there). PHPBB is basically an open source version of vBulletin - forked from the same code base way back.

Ironically, tech support says our version of vBulletin should not even work with the previous version of PHP we were using (5.4) but I went back through my notes and back in 2012 the web host upgraded us to 5.3. It broke a LOT of things and we were getting all kinds of errors. I wound up having to make some changes in the PHP variables declarations that were suggested on the vBulletin support forums, and the web host had to disable "reporting of deprecated messages" in the PHP.INI file. That fixed all the problems, and I guess that hack also allowed it to work under PHP 5.4.

So everyone keep trying the New Posts page and let me know if it's working now. I'll keep my fingers crossed. :)

Genom
Steely Eyed Missile Man

Post by Genom »

If it matters, PHPBB is dead simple to setup and run. Lots of user created addons too to make QOL better with silly missing feature sets and the like.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

The tricky part is importing the old vBulletin posts and users. There's free converters out there, but we'd just have to try it and see how it works.

Genom
Steely Eyed Missile Man

Post by Genom »

It's pretty trivial to download the DB and do a test convert/import on a locally setup phpbb and see how well it transfers. I used XAMPP for my trials and always worked pretty well.
I see teh XAMPP site has ready made PHPBB installers, so even easier.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Careful. I may recruit you for the job. :)

If it comes down to it, I'll be picking your brains for sure.

Genom
Steely Eyed Missile Man

Post by Genom »

I can download the vbulletin 3 converter and setup a test platform at home, no prob. Recently did one to upgrade some boards to the phpbb3.1 release so I have everything in place, except the DB for this board (obviously). If you tell me what DB your host runs I can set that up as well, although I suspect a DB dump from here is gonna be pretty big.
Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

FYI: Didn't work from my office today.