SPAM Bot Users

Feedback on anything site related. Forum issues and the Traders to Avoid list
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

SPAM Bot Users

Post by FlyingPenguin »

I've been trying to leave the BBS open for new users, but I'll probably have to lock it down eventually like the old BBS. It's not bad yet, but we're getting 1 or 2 spam bot users registering every week. Fortunately they're easy to spot. All of them have registered from Russian IPs so far.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

wvjohn

Re: SPAM Bot Users

Post by wvjohn »

they are trying to steal our secrets!
Genom
Steely Eyed Missile Man

Post by Genom »

Yeah, I've been banning the ones I see popup. Might just ban the country and be done with it.
Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

But what about our Russian PCA charter? Won't they be upset if you block them? ;) Or the Nigerian one? lol
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Because the old BBS's registration page was so weekly secured, we had to turn off registration entirely. We were getting hundreds of bots a day at one point. Instead I had a link to the contact page on the registration page, and I posted a sticky in the forums saying registration was open but you had to contact an admin and ask for a user account and explain why you wanted one.

Not like we're attracting lots of new people anyway, but I have no problem with new peeps as long as they're peeps we like.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Now a couple of Ukrainian IPs. I'm just deleting the users.

Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

Genom wrote:Yeah, I've been banning the ones I see popup. Might just ban the country and be done with it.
I like this approach. The next country will be China or India.