How does everybody feel about setting up a separate VR forum?

Feedback on anything site related. Forum issues and the Traders to Avoid list
wvjohn

How does everybody feel about setting up a separate VR forum?

Post by wvjohn »

I'm doing a ton of research with my rift, trying to figure things out. I think I'm the only one with a vive or rift atm , but I suspect more will get them.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Re: How does everybody feel about setting up a separate VR forum?

Post by FlyingPenguin »

No problem. I can do that.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Genom
Steely Eyed Missile Man

Post by Genom »

I keep wavering between getting ready to order and stopping myself. I want a Vive because I cant stand Facebooks hands on anything I use, but keep worrying the Oculus will have better support. With the Vive 100 bucks off, I am so tempted to just say fuck it.
wvjohn

Post by wvjohn »

Genom - I was like that for a while too. I almost got the Vive when it was $100 off, didn't, and then the Rift came up $100 off and I did it. It apples and oranges, but my research indicated the controllers were better on the Rift and it has equivalent video. So far, the stuff from the Oculus store seems a little more polished, but my sample is very low. There is a sizeable community playing with these, and I've found 4 or 5 good sources, like https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/. The Vive uses RF tracking on the headset/controls while the Oculus uses IR to track.

Always something dept....I patched my copy of Elite and then got the Oculus code for it and another 10 gig download. I'll try that tonight.

I am finding generally that software runs on either unit, tho some like Google Earth VR require specific hacks to run on Oculus.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

I'm also going to get SOMETHING eventually, but I'm less interested in walking around like a drunken sailor with goggles on, in a confined space than I am in sitting in my chair and using them as a better solution than 3 monitors for games that really beg for 145 degree vision like flight sims.

This all still feels a bit too Gen1 for me right now.

I'm also feeling it's being over sold. Like 3D HDTV, this is eventually going to be a niche product IMO.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Added a VR forum. See if you can post in it.