No longer getting post notifications via email

Feedback on anything site related. Forum issues and the Traders to Avoid list
darcy

Re: No longer getting post notifications via email

Post by darcy »

Ok,,, On laptop, I was able to mark as Not Spam; I've added PCA as contact along with the EM address that sends the thread notifications.
They're still sent to Spam folder ( i.e., the notification about forum to be temporarily down ).
Don't know what else I can do on my end,,,(?)
Briquette, 1992 - 2008 ~ < Forever In Our Hearts >

Lily, 1995 - 2009 ~ < Forever In Our Hearts >

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched.
They must be felt with the heart. ~ Helen Keller.
normalicy

Post by normalicy »

darcy

Post by darcy »

Thank you!

darcy

Post by darcy »

ok, finally back on lappie, and created new filter. Will see how it works * fingers crossed * :)

// edit: - that worked, normalicy! :)

normalicy

Post by normalicy »

Excellent, I've been getting regular notifications too.
darcy

Post by darcy »

normalicy wrote:Excellent, I've been getting regular notifications too.
Thanks again! :)

b-man1

Post by b-man1 »

My bet is that the sending email system is not authorized to send as the pcabusers.org domain (if that's the domain it's trying to send from?). The domain's SPF record is:

v=spf1 a mx ip4:208.65.200.160 ?all

If that IP is not the current SMTP server's source IP, then that's why the messages are being junked. If someone can post the headers from one of the messages in the junk folder, I can tell what the cause is. I'd also recommend "-all" (hard fail) instead of "?all" (neutral) for security's sake.
darcy

Post by darcy »

b-man1 wrote:My bet is that the sending email system is not authorized to send as the pcabusers.org domain (if that's the domain it's trying to send from?). The domain's SPF record is:

v=spf1 a mx ip4:208.65.200.160 ?all

If that IP is not the current SMTP server's source IP, then that's why the messages are being junked. If someone can post the headers from one of the messages in the junk folder, I can tell what the cause is. I'd also recommend "-all" (hard fail) instead of "?all" (neutral) for security's sake.
I didn't save any that went to junk folder; now they all come to inbox because of filter in Gmail.

Here's header of one that arrived in my Inbox:

EDIT: ok, header deleted, bman-1; thank you.
Last edited by darcy on Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

b-man1

Post by b-man1 »

Thanks, Darcy. You can delete that header info if you want (you left your email address in there in a few spots)...I got what I needed. I also found the email a thread option on the boards here...never noticed that before. I sent a few tests and they are marked as spam because of this:

Authentication-Results spf=pass (sender IP is 204.11.19.34) smtp.mailfrom=c2.dal.innoscale.net; xxxxxxx.com; dkim=none (message not signed) header.d=none;xxxxxxx.com; dmarc=none action=none header.from=Penguinblog.com;compauth=fail reason=001

The messages pass SPF, but are implicitly failing DKIM and DMARC. Not to get into it too much here, but basically DMARC is failing since the sending system address doesn't match who it's saying it's from (MAIL and MAILFROM headers...aka P1/P2 headers). That's a common way of spoofing, so systems tend to mark it as spam unless they all match.

The "?all" being changed to "-all" may solve it for recipients using O365 or MS Exchange...not sure if Google would do the same. The compauth reason=001 is a Microsoft proprietary rating that indicates why it failed.

Edit: Actually, the SPF check is against the c2.dal.innoscale.net domain. That domain DOES have a SPF record, but it's a soft fail "~all", which explains it. DMARC fails because of the mismatched c2.dal.innoscale.net and Penguinblog.com domains.

v=spf1 ip4:204.11.19.34 ip4:204.11.19.35 ip4:204.11.19.36 ~all

:E
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Is it because of the .com? We don't have the .com anymore, only the .org
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

b-man1

Post by b-man1 »

The messages are being sent by a mail server in the c2.dal.innoscale.net domain, but adding the Penguinblog.com in the FROM header. The FROM header is what mail clients like Outlook use to show who the message was from, which is what spoofers use to trick people all the time. The MAILFROM header is the actual sending domain, which is what SPF checks (well, it checks the source IP, which needs to match an IP in the SPF record of that domain). DMARC checks to see if both of these domains match (called SPF "alignment"). If they do not, then it can fail.

To fix it, since we do not have control of the innoscale.net domain's DNS, choices would be:

--Change the FROM entry to match the MAILFROM, but that may not be possible...not sure what config options you have).
--Publish a DKIM record in the Penguinblog.com domain to authorize the innoscale.net domain to DKIM sign messages on our behalf (if they have that capability and can tell us what record to publish)
--The next option (technically, not knowing if we have this choice) is to change the forum to send from a different SMTP server that we have control over. If it let's you specify an external SMTP server, then we could sort it out, as long as we have access to the external DNS of the domain involved.

Not sure if it's worth the effort to you, but I'm happy to try and help, otherwise everyone can just whitelist on the receiving side. :)
Elmdea
Goober Member

Post by Elmdea »

I have a .com e-mail and I'm not getting notifications of posts/replies. I've NO idea if there's something I need to do on my end and, if so, what it is. The info you folks have in here is, umm, massive, so I don't know where to look. Darcy gave me the link for this thread.
Elmdea
Goober Member

Post by Elmdea »

OK (please forgive me, still learning ins and outs of a forum), I found a like FP posted re: notifications and didn't have all the e-mail options checked. They are now. Hopefully now I'll get notifications. If I don't, I'll post again here. Thanks for being patient with the newby.
darcy

Post by darcy »

(,, just a test post to see if Elmdea gets an email notification,, )

Elmdea
Goober Member

Post by Elmdea »

Nope, didn't get a notification of your test post, Darcy.