US Navy ship collides with oil tanker off Singapore

Kick Back and Relax in the Cheers! Forum. Thoughts on life or want advice or thoughts from other pca members. Or just plain "chill". Originator of da Babe threads.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

US Navy ship collides with oil tanker off Singapore

Post by FlyingPenguin »

AGAIN? Are you F'ing kidding me? Who the hell is running these ships? We don't need a war. Attrition is going to reduce our navy the way things are going...
Ten sailors are missing and five injured after a US destroyer collided with an oil tanker off the coast of Singapore, the US Navy says.

The USS John McCain was sailing through the Strait of Malacca and preparing to stop in Singapore when it struck the Liberian-flagged vessel.

A search and rescue operation is under way.

It is the second serious collision involving a US Navy ship within two months.

The latest collision, which was reported at 06:24 local time on Monday (21:24 GMT on Sunday), happened as the USS John McCain prepared to perform a routine port stop.

Initial reports said that the ship had "sustained damage" to its port side. The US Navy said local authorities were assisting with "search and rescue efforts".

In June, seven US sailors were killed when the USS Fitzgerald collided with a container ship in Japanese waters near the port city of Yokosuka.

Those who died were found in flooded berths on board the ship after the collision caused a "big gash" under the warship's waterline, the US Navy said.

According to maritime rules, vessels are supposed to give way to ships on their starboard side.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-40995829
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

normalicy

Re: US Navy ship collides with oil tanker off Singapore

Post by normalicy »

Yeah, when I saw the first article on this I thought that I was seeing something on the Fitzgerald and was shocked to find that it was a whole new wreck. Jeez.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?!?! WTF is going on out there?!
wvjohn

Post by wvjohn »

I mean seriously, WTF is going on here. You would think that every captain in that fleet has doubled down on watchkeepers, lookouts, radar. Even in someone was screwing around with GPS positioning in the area (which is a thing that happens) this is absolutely off the wall. These are warships run by professional crews, not the Staten Island ferry.
reno
The artist formerly known as Renovation

Post by reno »

by the picture above it looks to me , the oil tanker ran head on into the destroyer.
Err
Life Member

Post by Err »

I don't understand how this happened again. The shipping lanes are known. It's no big secret where these giant cargo and oil ships are located.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Not to mention this is a DESTROYER. It's designed to avoid missiles for crying out loud. There's radar, there's GPS, there's IFF transponders (all commercial ships are required to carry them), and there's lookouts.

It would involve a complete and total disregard for standard procedures.

Pugsley

Post by Pugsley »

One reason is the military has to let anybody in now. Before basic training would weed out the losers but now everyone is a snowflake and has to make it through.