Home depot using blue tooth to stop trolls !

Kick Back and Relax in the Cheers! Forum. Thoughts on life or want advice or thoughts from other pca members. Or just plain "chill". Originator of da Babe threads.
reno
The artist formerly known as Renovation

Home depot using blue tooth to stop trolls !

Post by reno »

Home Depot testing technology to combat organized retail theft.
Home improvement store The Home Depot is trying a new approach when it comes to curbing what they said has become a crime problem.

The crime typically involves an individual or team walking into a store, grabbing a stack of power tools, and then heading to the front of the store. Next, they either ring up a few smaller items in the self-checkout lane to mask the crime or simply walk straight out the door.

An evolving anti-theft strategy the company is now using, Glenn described, is a chip being inserted into power tools from DeWalt and Milwaukee brand tools.

Similar to how gift cards need to be scanned and paid for at a store to activate, the power tools need to be paid for, and then - using Bluetooth technology - the tool is activated.

Tools that haven't been activated won't turn on, according to The Home Depot.
https://www.11alive.com/article/money/h ... 7d402907e9
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Re: Home depot using blue tooth to stop trolls !

Post by FlyingPenguin »

How can this possibly go wrong?
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Pugsley

Post by Pugsley »

Can't wait for the recoil of not being able to use tools you paid for. I see subscription service coming.
Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

What's wrong with subscription based power tools. You just have a tiered system where you pay a monthly fee for the drill, based on the RPMs you'd like to unlock.
How about fingerprint recognition so it also only works for the actual buyer so you'll never have to loan your neighbor Fred your tools? "Sorry Buddy, I'd loan it to you but it's encoded to just my hand."

This will work flawlessly. LMAO
------------------------------------------

Pugsley

Post by Pugsley »

HA! Now that's funny!
Err
Life Member

Post by Err »

If the stores really wanted to stop theft of power tools, they'd have the customer pay beforehand and then pick it up at the checkout. They could still have display models to handle.

Subscriptions are already coming to some cars. I'll buy a hand powered drill before I buy a tool I have to activate.