Massive garbage truck explosion after hitting bridge

Kick Back and Relax in the Cheers! Forum. Thoughts on life or want advice or thoughts from other pca members. Or just plain "chill". Originator of da Babe threads.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Massive garbage truck explosion after hitting bridge

Post by FlyingPenguin »

I can't find any confirmation of this, but it explains why the big explosion: According to some of the comments, the waste management company uses trucks that run on CNG (compressed natural gas). That explosion looks about right for that. A news clip I found says the driver survived and walked away.

Now some comments said the tanks were on the roof which is nonsense (wouldn't be road legal for one thing). The thing you see on the roof is part of the compactor. Some trucks like this one have a roof mounted compactor, instead of mounted at the rear.

"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Re: Massive garbage truck explosion after hitting bridge

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Example of a CNG garbage truck with a roof mounted compactor:

"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Pugsley

Re: Massive garbage truck explosion after hitting bridge

Post by Pugsley »

Well a tank was knocked off you can see under the bridge shooting fire after the initial explosion so it might have had some tanks in the forward upper compartment. Maybe the tanks were stacked vertically in that area and the tops all got sheared off and the explosion knocked a few out of the rack and like I said you can see one on fire under the bridge bouncing around at first.