Personal update on my Dad...

Kick Back and Relax in the Cheers! Forum. Thoughts on life or want advice or thoughts from other pca members. Or just plain "chill". Originator of da Babe threads.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Personal update on my Dad...

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Off topic personal update: My Dad, who reached age 100 last month, and is otherwise in excellent health other than the normal aches and pains of old age (no probs with any major organs) and is very active for his age (still cooks, cleans, takes out the trash) and lives with us, but in his own bedroom suite, caught a UTI last week that laid him out. Practically bedridden for the past week.

I've had a rough week taking care of him, but I've hired caregivers to help me out now. Got my first good night sleep in a week the night before last. Wonderful woman working today who gave him a sponge bath and groomed him in bed.

He's on antibiotics and getting his strength back.

As a side note, the selection of so-called baby monitor cams out there suck. I've been through a few now, and returned them all. Found one in my closet from last time I needed it that works much better than any of the crap I've bought at Best Buy this week. Would like another like it, but they don't make it anymore.
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

Executioner
Life Member

Re: Personal update on my Dad...

Post by Executioner »

Sorry to hear. I hope he pulls through. My wife and I are currently living with my father-in-law who will be 90 in August. Like your dad, he's in excellent physical and mental health. When my wife and I got the Wu-Flu last year, he walked all around us and was not afraid. He never got it. Coming back from Hawaii last month, I came down with the flu. What sucked is it started on the way back to the airport. I wore a mask, but not sure how well that would have protected others. My wife never got it and my father-in-law never got it.
reno
The artist formerly known as Renovation

Post by reno »

FP and Executioner were here for you guys . we kind of understand what your going though . been dealing with family problem ever since about the time we moved down here to Florida . won't get into details but its no been all joy. on a Happy note we became a Grandpa for a second time June 1st.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Thanks Reno.

BYW: If anyone needs a baby monitor cam, finally found a good one (I think): https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09YL7JPXY

Just set it up and seems like it will do what I want. Decent 1080p video and good quality audio. Will know for sure after a few days use.

You don't need to pay for cloud storage. I'm just using it as a live camera, and it will also keep a log of motion detection events without the cloud. Optionally you can pop a Micro SDCard in it and record video locally.

You do need to log into the TP Tapo-link app to set it up, and to watch live, but if you just want to use it offline with a local Micro SDCard, just connect it to a temporary Wifi (like a phone's hotspot) and then disconnect it after you set it up.
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Okay one issue is that if the camera and the phone (or tablet) are not on the same Wifi network, you can only watch for 5 minutes before it times out, because it send the video over the cloud.

If you connect both devices to the same Wifi network, you are supposed to be able to watch continuously as it streams directly from the camera to you phone. I always connect untrusted devices to my Guest network so I need to change that.

That also dramatically reduced the amount of delay.

Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

Sorry to hear about your father. Hope he feels better real soon.
------------------------------------------