Help!! Popups!!

Kick Back and Relax in the Cheers! Forum. Thoughts on life or want advice or thoughts from other pca members. Or just plain "chill". Originator of da Babe threads.
The Wraithlord
Golden Member

Help!! Popups!!

Post by The Wraithlord »

Okay, I need a little help here peeps. How the heck do I set IE to NOT allow popups? Can't remember for the life of me.
In time, you too will understand what I do.
d_b

Post by d_b »

tools, internet options, security, custom level and scroll down to active scripting near the bottom. check disable and you are all set.
I'm not lazy by nature, I work very hard at being lazy.
tunis5000
Almighty Member

Post by tunis5000 »

Does that turn off some other useful features tho?
The Wraithlord
Golden Member

Post by The Wraithlord »

Ahh thanks. Much appreciated.
In time, you too will understand what I do.
Zyph
Golden Member

Post by Zyph »

I actually had it turned off in a bug in a version of IE and yes, it turns off the useful stuff too. (I had to re-install IE to re-enable that option.)

Keep the following in mind: Alot of my credit card websites use popups to use as "bill pay" or one even makes you use it to sign in (preventing fraud I guess). Then of course, I go to the occisional contest and it they use a pop-up for important stuff too (like making your entry, etc). I also found alot of online games use a special pop-up to verify the game is installed or other important things, without the pop-up window running the game thought something was wrong. So I just got too frustrated with not being able to do half the stuff I normally do, so I went and re-installed IE. Your best bet might be to run one of those Ad blockers so you can block pop-ups on a whim (and enable pop-ups on important sites.)

Interesting information: I had installed ZoneAlert (I know everyone isn't crazy about this software, but it's an example) and aparrently most of the pop-ups try to connect to your system in order for them to load, because not only have my number of pop-ups dropped (from lets say 8 in a web surfing session instead of 12), but valid pop-ups (for games, credit cards, VALID contests still work fine....go figure. (And you can open ZA and see the attempts they tried to make on your system, but failed.
betenoire

Post by betenoire »

I keep active scripting disabled. No pop-ups.

The sights that I need that use scripts I added to trusted sites list.

Everything works great.

The only down side is every once in a while I'll surf into a site that uses scripts and has something I want to see. I then enable them again...kind of a pain.

I wish some smart guy would figure out how to toggle this function quickly.