I don't feel this is possible, and since it seems to be it can't be that healthy.

Kick Back and Relax in the Cheers! Forum. Thoughts on life or want advice or thoughts from other pca members. Or just plain "chill". Originator of da Babe threads.
Frost
Golden Member

I don't feel this is possible, and since it seems to be it can't be that healthy.

Post by Frost »

I've been a pretty heavy smoker for about 3 years now. I'd say the past year has been the worst out of the 3, and since I started about 3 years ago I have progressivly smoked more and more. Well about 2 months ago I developed a cough, a really bad one too. Even when I wasn't smoking, running, breathing hard, doing anything to agrivate it, I would start coughing and hacking up stuff. Well I let that go on for about a month, *continuing to smoke* :( Well finally, my throat was so inflamed and red, and I was just feeling like total shit, so I went to the doctor. He told me that I only had a virus, and that it wouldn't even react to anti-biotics... So basically I paid $80 for some chest decongestants, and nasal spray... Well I wasn't feeling better even though I was sleeping alot more, *still smoking though* :( taking tons apon tons of vitamins, drinking juices, all that good stuff, well out of the blue like 3-4 days later my doctor calls me up to say that I have strep throat! WTF!?!? I was thinking, was I not there 3-4 days ago paying you to specifically test me for that? Anyways I decided with having strep throat for prolly a month or better now, and a virus on top of it I had better stop smoking. Well I did... Pretty much. I'd say since then which has been about 3 weeks since I've been off my anti-biotics, I've felt tons better and only smoked maybe 4 times... I used to smoke 4 times a day... Atleast! Well now finally getting to my question and what I don't understand to be possible. Even here as I'm typing this I still cough more than I think I should and its accompanied by little bits of dark brown-ish grey shit in my flem, that just looks like smoke, and resin... What I don't understand is how can I still be coughing this shit up even after stopping smoking for quite some time... Is it possible that my lungs were just so full of it that they are still trapping it, and making me spit it out or what? I don't know if any of you fellow smokers have experienced this or not, but do you know what I'm talking about that little bit of grey stuff that you would sometimes spit out after smoking and coughing alot?? I just don't know its hard to beleive that theres all that shit still in there, but I did smoke for like 3 years so.... I'm really not too sure. Thank you for listening to my ramblings.

Frost
<a href=mailto:Frost@pcabusers.com>E-mail</a> / <a href=http://heatware.elitehardware.com/view.shtml?action=list&option=frost>Heatware</a> / <a href=http://frostyspc.homestead.com>My computer</a>
eGoCeNTRoNiX

Hmmm...

Post by eGoCeNTRoNiX »

I was a very light smoker for about 6 years.. Maybe a pack a week, I smoked Reds. But I never got the "cough". My mother has been smoking for 30 years and she coughs all day and all night just about. And she herself hasn't ever complained about coughing anything like that up. Did you tell your Dr. about this when you were there? I'm no Dr. but I, like you, can't believe that it's a "good" thing.. You might want to seek a second opinion.. GL eGo
PM before Email People!!
Heat Under eGoCeNTRoNiX :)
Who Farted? BEANIE!!!
!Welcome to the United States of the Offended!
Frost
Golden Member

Post by Frost »

Yeah I told him about it, and I don't remember what he said specifically, he didn't really seem to say if had seen it before or not, but what was eminent was that he had no sympathy for smokers and I simply would not get better if I didn't quit smoking... Well I have and I feel great, but that still happens and is just kinda odd to me. It is becoming less and less, but still it happens and it just seems weird my lungs coulda been THAT clogged, because even through these last 3 years I've been very active, and played lots and lots of roller hockey, Hell I went to nationals in vegas about month and a half ago which would have put me in the tournament with the best of the best right in the middle of me having strep throat, and I'm one of the best on the team and for the most part (not being conceeded or saying the're aren't better on the team) but I can outskate the non-smokers...
<a href=mailto:Frost@pcabusers.com>E-mail</a> / <a href=http://heatware.elitehardware.com/view.shtml?action=list&option=frost>Heatware</a> / <a href=http://frostyspc.homestead.com>My computer</a>
MK888

Post by MK888 »

It may take months to get all that crap out of your lungs.... Plus you have the everyday polution in your lungs that most people dont see. Because you quit smoking, and were sick, you are getting everything all at once.

I think you should avoid any soda, orange juice, and dairy. Take vitamin C suppliments, and drink lots of water. Dont drink a lot when you eat, and when you take your vitamins however, cause it dilutes the nutrients, and your body does not absorb as much.
Behold The Power Of Cheese!!!!

My DVD Collection
b-man1

Post by b-man1 »

well out of the blue like 3-4 days later my doctor calls me up to say that I have strep throat! WTF!?!? I was thinking, was I not there 3-4 days ago paying you to specifically test me for that?

clinics do a "rapid strep" test that checks for the presence of the bacteria...dead or alive (it tests for the presence of proteins specific to strep A, etc). that is why you should NEVER take antibiotics before going to the doctor (i.e. left-overs from a previous prescription...even though you should NEVER have left over antibiotics anyway). if the rapid strep test is NEGATIVE, then they send the sample to the lab to be cultured...which will take up to 72 hours to grow. if it turns positive then they call you back. :)

my pet peeve (not related to your story) are the people that go to the doctor EXPECTING antibiotics...regardless of what is causing it. some docs actually give them out even if it is a viral infection..just to shut the people up and get them out of their office.