Another Central H/AC Question..

Kick Back and Relax in the Cheers! Forum. Thoughts on life or want advice or thoughts from other pca members. Or just plain "chill". Originator of da Babe threads.
eGoCeNTRoNiX

Another Central H/AC Question..

Post by eGoCeNTRoNiX »

Hey Guys,

I want to get a digital Thermostat.. And I'm wondering how to determine if it's 24V? Also, is this an easy thing to install? I tried doing this once before and had very little luck, this may have been attributed to my lack of reading directions.. ;) Any help/opinions appreciated.

TIA!

eGo
PM before Email People!!
Heat Under eGoCeNTRoNiX :)
Who Farted? BEANIE!!!
!Welcome to the United States of the Offended!
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

I'm no expert but from my own experience it not voltage that's the issue - that seems to be pretty standard - it's the configuration of your unit. Thermostat is different depending on whether you have a plain AC with heating coils, heatpump, AC with furnace, etc. Different wiring for each.

There's a few HVAC pros on the forum and hopefully they'll chime in.
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

Invisible Evil

Post by Invisible Evil »

C, I can get you a thermostat from Appliance parts for alot cheaper than your going to get around here unless someone is giving you one. Get me the make and and what you have, rheem, tempstar whathave ya, and Ill get you a price on one. Im curious though why do you want a Digi one.?
Also dont owrry about the Voltage, and Ill give you a hand installing it if you need me too buddy.
eGoCeNTRoNiX

Post by eGoCeNTRoNiX »

Cool Dean,

I'm headed to bed now, but I'll let ya know tomorrow.. I want a digital one so that I can have it set to go off at 3:00AM and come back on at 3:00PM to help save on the bill.. :) It's too warm at night for me to turn it off and I like it cold lol, but once I'm asleep it's usually ok to warm up a bit. And I don't want it running all day while I'm at work, so it can come back on around 3:00 and cool the house down before I get home at 4:00.. :)

Thanks!!

Chal
PM before Email People!!
Who Farted? BEANIE!!!
NascarFool

Post by NascarFool »

Voltage is a concern when it comes to thermostats. There are two types of voltages; millivolt and 24v. Most digital stats are for 24 volt systems. Beware that some older systems use two transformers. One in the furnace and one in the condensing unit. Most digital stats are made for use on single and double transformer systems. If you only have four wires at the current stat, then you have a single transformer. A two trans former stat will have connections for five wires labeled; R (or RH), RC, Y, W and G. The new digital should have a jumper preinstalled for the RH & RC for single transformer use. Stay away from cheap stats like LUX, Maple Chase and Hunter. Stick with Robertshaw or Honeywell. ;)

P.S.
Honeywell just came out with a new stat that is used for all voltages and systems. Unfortunately they are about $95 cost to the dealers. That will put them at roughly $400 installed or $150 carry out.
eGoCeNTRoNiX

Post by eGoCeNTRoNiX »

Thanx Carl!! :)

So would something like this be a good choice?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 80303&rd=1

Dean, I'll talk to you about something this evening and see what we can do..

I also checked, and this is a 5 wire thermostat.. So I just have to make sure that the digital stat is ok to go with 5 wires right? *looks back at the link* I can't tell if that one would work or not.. lol.. So as old as this thing is 21 years now (and still keeping things mighty cool :D ) will a digital stat work? I sure hope so. Sorry to keep asking stupid questions you may have already answered, but this isn't a computer, or a motorcycle.. :D

eGo
PM before Email People!!
Who Farted? BEANIE!!!