OT : Hot Water Heater

Kick Back and Relax in the Cheers! Forum. Thoughts on life or want advice or thoughts from other pca members. Or just plain "chill". Originator of da Babe threads.
eGoCeNTRoNiX

OT : Hot Water Heater

Post by eGoCeNTRoNiX »

Hey Guys..

I have a question. I'm fixing to buy a new hot water heater. I hardly EVER use any hot water.. Washing dishes, and laundry and just a tad when I shower as I don't care for hot water. There is a $20 price difference between a 30 gallon Hot Water heater and a 40 gallon hot water heater. I'm wondering if anybody thinks I'll have any problems with the smaller 30 gallon hot water heater? I sure hope it will save electricity. Right now there is a 50 gallon hot water heater in there and I have NEVER ever ran out of hot water. Honestly, I don't see myself running out of hot water with the smaller one. Does anybody else use a smaller hot water heater? Just looking for opinions as to whether or not I'd be better off with the bigger one..

TIA

eGo

Sorry if none of the above makes sense.. :)
PM before Email People!!
Heat Under eGoCeNTRoNiX :)
Who Farted? BEANIE!!!
!Welcome to the United States of the Offended!
renovation

Post by renovation »

is it smaller in size or just holding size !
i go with the 40 gallon if you plan on staying there a long time - see if you should have kids you will need the extra holding amount if not just replace it with the $20 cheaper 30 gallon one !
and if you have national gas in your place i switch over to gas right now you save that extra cost in just one years of use !
the Last time I was Talking to myself . I got into such a heated argument . that is why I swore I never talk to that guy again. you know what it worked now no buddy talking to me. :help
nitro237

Post by nitro237 »

30 gallon is fine for 1 shower , can suck for 2 showers , especially if 1 is a female and she has to shave her legs etc . :)

Go for the 40 gallon . I have a 30 and have run out a time or 2 when the gf took too long :D

or , shower together :chug

eGoCeNTRoNiX

Post by eGoCeNTRoNiX »

Originally posted by nitro237
shower together :chug

You mean you shower alone?!?! :D

he he.. :) It's really just me using the shower. Two or three times a month the two of us are together using it.

Bellringer, I'd go with gas, but down here it's a ripoff. At least in my opinion. Last time I had gas my gas bill was ALWAYS at least $100 a month and so far my electric bill has been $150 a month.. So there's no sense in switching over. ;)

eGo
PM before Email People!!
Who Farted? BEANIE!!!
Walleye

Post by Walleye »

hmm... have you thought about an on demand water heater? they're a LOT more energy efficient :P small space, and never really run out of hot water. :)
Pugsley

Post by Pugsley »

Originally posted by Walleye
hmm... have you thought about an on demand water heater? they're a LOT more energy efficient :P small space, and never really run out of hot water. :)

Yea i was gonna say get one of them instant heaters. no tank, so its like an infinate heater.
[align=center]A self-aware artificial intelligence would suffer from a divide by zero error if it were programmed to be Amish[/align]
eGoCeNTRoNiX

Post by eGoCeNTRoNiX »

Originally posted by Pugsley
Yea i was gonna say get one of them instant heaters. no tank, so its like an infinate heater.

They're great.. But cost twice as much.. I'm probably just gonna put this one on a timer too.. No sense in it keeping water hot from 12 at night till 3:30 the next day as I'm at work and sleeping.. ;)
PM before Email People!!
Who Farted? BEANIE!!!
Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

For the resellability of your house, I would suggest you go with a 40 gallon.
Pugsley

Post by Pugsley »

Puttin a timer on it would be bad.. then the water will cool off.. then all the enegry that will be needed to bring it back up to temp.. your better off leaving it just set low then on a timer.
[align=center]A self-aware artificial intelligence would suffer from a divide by zero error if it were programmed to be Amish[/align]
renovation

Post by renovation »

Originally posted by Pugsley
Putting a timer on it would be bad.. then the water will cool off.. then all the energy that will be needed to bring it back up to temp.. your better off leaving it just set low then on a timer.

pugsley 100% on this no timer -it will also help to lower the life span of the unit :(
the Last time I was Talking to myself . I got into such a heated argument . that is why I swore I never talk to that guy again. you know what it worked now no buddy talking to me. :help
eGoCeNTRoNiX

hmm...

Post by eGoCeNTRoNiX »

Originally posted by bellringer
pugsley 100% on this no timer -it will also help to lower the life span of the unit :(

I don't understand why they make timers for hot water heaters then? These newer hot water heaters have a recovery time of 20.7gph it would only take two hours to heat the water back up. I realize that's a great deal of power. But overall, wouldn't it only running 8 hours a day instead of 24 be better than running all the time? I hate to act like I don't believe what you're saying, I just want to understand. Sorry if I'm annoying.. :B

eGo
PM before Email People!!
Who Farted? BEANIE!!!
renovation

Post by renovation »

the heating elements are not design to have the power turner completely off !
the rate your reading is time to heat up that amount of water to min temp. !
Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

Get the 40 gallon and set the temperature really low if it's not used that much.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Timers work fine IF you use a thermal blanket on the heater. When I lived alone I saved a LOT of money using a timer - I only needed hot water 2 hours in the morning and 2 hrs at night.

The timer thing didn't work out with the wife - she can't shower on a schedule.
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

The_Frapster
Golden Member

Post by The_Frapster »

Originally posted by FlyingPenguin
The timer thing didn't work out with the wife - she can't shower on a schedule.

Damn woman, always putting a wrench into the gears.

Anyways, yes the on demand water heaters cost more, but supposedly are more energy effiecient the the water tanks since your only heating the water when you use it, rather then 8-24 hours a day.
Run fer your lives!!! The_Frapster's Coming!!!

<a title="Click here to view my Heatware Profile" href="http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=28300">
[ HEATWARE.com ]</a>
<a title="Click here to view My E-bay Profile" href="http://cgi2.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback&userid=the_frapster&ssPageName=STRK:ME:UFS">
[ eBay.com ]</a></p>