Killer NIC is For Sale!

Kick Back and Relax in the Cheers! Forum. Thoughts on life or want advice or thoughts from other pca members. Or just plain "chill". Originator of da Babe threads.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Killer NIC is For Sale!

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Someone (maybe me) posted a press release for this thing a few months ago, and we all had a good laugh.

Well they're actually selling it at NewEgg. So who's ready to blow $280 on a NETWORK INTERFACE CARD?

I'd like the list of registered users so I can personally visit each one and dope-slap them.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6833342001
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

Pugsley

Post by Pugsley »

I cant wait for a review about it.
[align=center]A self-aware artificial intelligence would suffer from a divide by zero error if it were programmed to be Amish[/align]
123cool
Golden Member

Post by 123cool »

Killer is the first network card designed specifically for online video gaming, and is packed with features that give Elite gamers the edge they need to win.

haha, im sure that 10Mb connection is gonna be slowed down by your NIC buy one now or be pwnd. :rolleyes:

edit
the sad thing is its not even a mistake, the card does sell for that price at other retailers on the net too.
Athlon 4400 X2, @ 2.5Ghz, 1.375v validation
Corsair 3200C2 2.5-3-3-6 @ 1T Twinx 2GB,
Nvidia 7800GTX 256MB XFX @ 467/1.28,
A8N Sli Premium ASUS,
250GB Maxtor Maxline 3,
Sound Blaster Audigy 2ZS.

3DMark05 = 8434

Pikachu

Post by Pikachu »

ok, how about this.... I'll get one then we can take turns laughing histarically as i pwn you with 2 ms less ping
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

I cant wait for a review about it.
Here you go: http://www.gdhardware.com/hardware/netw ... ew/001.htm

Holy crap. The card is running a whole network appliance in Linux!
Bigfoot markets its “Ultimate Ping” advantage, however, nowhere in our testing did we ever see a ping advantage that was large enough to justify the $280 dollar price-tag; we see it more of an added bonus – the icing on the cake if you will. Under more scenarios we saw a ping difference of no larger than 3-5 milliseconds. This isn’t surprising to us in light of the fact that once packets leave your PC they are extremely vulnerable to tons of other lag-inducing issues such as distance, ISP routers, etc.
There is an average of a 8 - 10 fps improvement in some games (FEAR, HL2, WOW) over an nForce chipset network interface, which makes sense if the card is taking some of the load of managing the network connection off the CPU, but that's hardly worth spending $280 on.

Plus, I would have liked to see them bench it against a good quality PCI 10/100/1000 NIC. The nForce NIC being integral to the chipset probably uses more CPU cycles than a good quality add-on card I would think.
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

Bragging rights?
renovation

Post by renovation »

and remember if you buy 2 units and ?
No Payments for 6 Months
On purchases of $500 or more with your Newegg.com Preferred Account! :) hehehehe
the Last time I was Talking to myself . I got into such a heated argument . that is why I swore I never talk to that guy again. you know what it worked now no buddy talking to me. :help
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Oooooohh Man I want one I want one.......... Cause..... ITS KILLER BAD MAN!!!!!

(as nomad remembers that one video with the drunk hillbilly loading bottle rockets lmao)

KILLER BAD MAN!!!!!
RubberDuckie

Post by RubberDuckie »

You gotta be kidding me. :P
JSTMF
Pikachu

Post by Pikachu »

I think this falls under the ultimate rice-burner 'puter....

Only the slim few will pick this card up for 10 fps and 3 ms, back in the day I would have, but no friggin way I'd do it now of days knowing what I know now. I'd rather invest the $280 dollars on fiber optics going directly to the house, than on a twisted pair speed booster.
rogue
Golden Member

Post by rogue »

It's a gimmick. The FNA stuff is rather interesting, but there are currently no applications for it, so you have to rely solely on outside developers. A 3 ms difference is certainly not worth the $280 price tag - a $100 Intel PRO/1000MT (http://www.intel.com/network/connectivi ... dapter.htm) supports TCP/IP offloading as well, and will probably also give a decent ping boost.
Welcome to the machine.
DoPeY5007
Almighty Member

Post by DoPeY5007 »

read the reviews @ newegg.....

and odd, why does it have a USB port.....
Image Image Image

"I'm seriously going to pummel you until you purr like a bitch-kitten!!"
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

I get pings as low as 35 in FEAR if I shop around servers. How low a ping do you want for $280?

People are NUTS!

Pugsley

Post by Pugsley »

Yes... the people on newegg are the exact type of peopel that i predicted would buy it... FOR CS CS CS CS CS CS CS CS CS~!!!!!!!one1
[align=center]A self-aware artificial intelligence would suffer from a divide by zero error if it were programmed to be Amish[/align]
NubyCanuby_OFC

Post by NubyCanuby_OFC »

I was playing FEAR on a monolith server and getting pings of 15. Would I get a ping of 14 with a killer nic? I know monolith is hiding that server somewhere in my basement.