Need some help about my inner ear.

Kick Back and Relax in the Cheers! Forum. Thoughts on life or want advice or thoughts from other pca members. Or just plain "chill". Originator of da Babe threads.
wvjohn

Post by wvjohn »

whew, glad you got there. 55% is a lot but you can work around it. they can replaced the eardrum with tissue from your p....j/k.

this kind of injury typically hits the high frequencies the hardest. As i have learned vowels and consonants live in different parts of the sound spectrum.
not being able to hear high stuff makes it hard to understand simple conversation - I would would hear noise, but I couldn't turn it into words. hard to explain. there's a ton of stuff on the web about adapting . I had a hearing aid, it didn't really do that much, lost it and didn't replace it. google pockettalker which is a neat little thing I use sometimes. Also, the high end sound amplifying auto/damp hunting headphones are very good, but you can look a little silly.

good luck.

pm me if you want to talk about what it's like....
<a href="http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=123" target="_blank" >Heatware</a>
Badmojo

Post by Badmojo »

thats interesting when i was a kid having speach problems they tested my hearing and told me I should have people on my good side. vowels and consonants live in different parts of the sound spectrum would explain alot of my hearing, speaking and spelling. Guess ill start researching that adaptation and stop saying "what" so much
If ifs and butts were candy and nuts we'd all have a merry Christmas ]Sealab2021[

Do you have any proof that you saved the universe?... Were all still here arent we!

Random Fact:
Mac's were made by pirates they only needed one button on the mouse to use with thier hooks.
ImageImageImage
Err
Life Member

Post by Err »

Good Luck with your surgery.
Key Keeper

Post by Key Keeper »

Hope the cousin helps out the the $$$. That really sux though. Hope all goes well with the surgery though.
[email="chevelle.h@gmail.com"][color="red"]MAIL[/color][/email]
Invisible Evil

Post by Invisible Evil »

Thanks all. the surgery is out patient, its not going to be a problem.
I am upset about the hearing thing. But I will deal, the worst part is, I am a guitar player as a hobby and the hearing is gonna f that up. OH WELL.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Good luck!
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

Pugsley

Post by Pugsley »

It just means you can rock out that much louder while everybody else complains about how loud it is. just make sure you face the amp with the deaf ear.
[align=center]A self-aware artificial intelligence would suffer from a divide by zero error if it were programmed to be Amish[/align]
[ GK ]

Post by [ GK ] »

Sorry to hear about the huge hearing loss, that sucks.
I hope you can learn to work around that, and hopefully there aren't any other complications from it.
darcy

Post by darcy »

:( ~ i sort of know what you mean,, my hubby is a bass player,,

i reckoned it more complicated than outpatient,, what does the surgery entail, if i can inquire?
Briquette, 1992 - 2008 ~ < Forever In Our Hearts >

Lily, 1995 - 2009 ~ < Forever In Our Hearts >

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched.
They must be felt with the heart. ~ Helen Keller.
Invisible Evil

Post by Invisible Evil »

Well, the dr. has to do a skin graft and put up a new ear drum thats about all I got before i was lost.
The reason my hearing is bad is he said there was nerve damage? There is a chance it will come back though ...maybe,
I was talking to someone who had this exact situation occur but it was a can of compressed air.
He was about 26 and the nerves healed themselves. So I am not giving up hope.
Im only 27 so maybe my body will help me out.
©LINT

Post by ©LINT »

I hope so man. Best of luck! Do as your caption says and stay optimistic!
[color="DarkRed"]LFD Fire-15[/color]
wvjohn

Post by wvjohn »

The nerve damage part was confusing for me too. Basically, if you look at the cochlea where the impulses are turned into sound, it's sort of like a spiral maze. The sound is transmitted to the cochlea by the rest of the ear as pressure, and the frequency at which the pressure reoccurs tells the ear what the tone is. the ear then send the info to the ol' noggin.

The pressure and frequency are sensed by little teeny-weeny nerve cells inside the cochlea which use very very thin hairs which vibrate sympathetically (like a drone string on on a sitar or whatever)to the pressure. each set of hairs covers a different frequency range, with the highest frequencies starting at the front.

When the hairs get whacked by a loud noise it creates an overpressure/shock wave which damages the hairs, which are part of the nerve. The damage can be gradual (factory work) or sudden (gunfire or pellet gun shooting burst of air, which creates the same kind of shockwave).

since the highest frequency hairs are at the front, the take the first hit and that is what goes first.

I hope you get some improvement because of your age. From my research it really varies from person to person.

you may also experience something called contribution, which i had a lot of trouble dealing with at first. The brain is unhappy when it senses dead spots in your hearing range, and instructs the nerve cells in the next working frequency (up or down) to "spy" on the dead frequency for activity. It's probably a primal survival deal - if a man eating whatever only makes sounds at a frequency of 23k cps, it's useful to know there's something happening on that frequency, even if you're unable to distinguish what it is (because the sound is blurry). At least you turn around and look. However, the spy hairs also transmit information about the frequency they are supposed to be listening to at the same time, and it can get blurry. People talk to me on my right side and I hear sounds but they don't make any sense.

didn't mean to go on so long - here are some pics - http://www.iurc.montp.inserm.fr/cric51/ ... r/fear.htm
<a href="http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=123" target="_blank" >Heatware</a>
Demrok

Post by Demrok »

Damn Evil... sorry to hear that this happened =/

Not sure what happened to cause it tho... but I had my cousin clap his hands on my eyes (my head between his hands) and i felt a popping and a ringing...
it stopped after about 15 minutes but now my right inner ear has a slight dull ache to it now and then, and diving deep in a pool = fail.. feels like a sharp stabbing pain.. so I just don't do it. Had it checked out by a doctor and he said it looked fine.. so I dunno =/

but I hope your ear recovers, just do WHATEVER the docs say to do to maximize your recovery

Best of luck bud
[align=center]Image[/align]
[align=center]<B>Member of the Ukrainian PC ABUSERS POSSE<B/>[/align]
©LINT

Post by ©LINT »

Sounds to me like you should let WVJohn do the surgery.. :goofy
[color="DarkRed"]LFD Fire-15[/color]
Key Keeper

Post by Key Keeper »

:s aid:
[email="chevelle.h@gmail.com"][color="red"]MAIL[/color][/email]