Staples playing games with prices

Kick Back and Relax in the Cheers! Forum. Thoughts on life or want advice or thoughts from other pca members. Or just plain "chill". Originator of da Babe threads.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Staples playing games with prices

Post by FlyingPenguin »

I just bought a new AIO fax printer and I was pricing cartridges for it. I wanted to buy local but I got online and compared Best Buy, Sam's Club, Office Depot and Staples. Staples had the best deal so I printed the web pages (lucky thing) and went over there. The prices on the shelf were $6 more for the tri color pack and $4 more for the dual hi-capacity black tanks. AND these prices were posted as specials (the regular price was supposed to be a couple of buck more).

Well duly armed with my printouts I grabbed the cartridges and went to the register and asked why the store prices were more than their online prices. The girl told me it was no problem - they price matched their own website's prices if I brought proof with me (oh gee that's nice!) and she discounted them for me. She continually dodged the my question as to WHY the store prices were more than the web prices in the first place. I told her I often shopped here and never seen a discrepancy before.

She just kept repeating it was no problem since they price matched their website. Well that's just peachy unless you don't do your research and don't bring the proof. If you're some unsuspecting person just walking in off the street I guess you get screwed.

BTW: I did go to the back of the store afterwards to thier customer computer kiosk to look up the prices online there and confirmed they were the same ones I saw at home, and they give you a printer to print them out there.

Still, this is very fishy to me. The store prices should be the same as the website.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

renovation

Post by renovation »

Online prices may differ from store prices due to regional variations.
at officemax it states there online price may different from there instore price. i just order a paper shredder from them. the news paper sales ad price was the same price as the online. but it was free shipping for a $50.00 purchase. so i'm having it home deliver to me.
the Last time I was Talking to myself . I got into such a heated argument . that is why I swore I never talk to that guy again. you know what it worked now no buddy talking to me. :help
normalicy

Post by normalicy »

Harbor Freight always has different prices from their website (sometimes significant either way). I always make sure to print out what I see online. Sometimes, it's like a 50% off coupon.
ZYFER

Post by ZYFER »

Walmart is the worst. They have different prices from their store to online on a large many of items. Depending on who you talk to, you may or may not get a price match, though there is no policy for that. Funny part is that you can get it shipped to the store for nothing at the online price...
When all else fails, replace the user.
nitro237

Post by nitro237 »

ZYFER wrote:Walmart is the worst. They have different prices from their store to online on a large many of items. Depending on who you talk to, you may or may not get a price match, though there is no policy for that. Funny part is that you can get it shipped to the store for nothing at the online price...
I bought a garmin handheld gps at walmart for $99, it was only $86 online. I needed it right then, and they would not sell it at the online price.

MegaVectra

Post by MegaVectra »

I noticed the same thing at a local Petsmart. They have since started matching there online prices in the store.

If you know anything about HTML you can make yourself some really good deals. LOL :|
normalicy

Post by normalicy »

MegaVectra wrote:I noticed the same thing at a local Petsmart. They have since started matching there online prices in the store.

If you know anything about HTML you can make yourself some really good deals. LOL :|
Yeah, I've considered that at times. I'm just not that kind of person though.
Qui Gon-Jinn
Golden Member

Post by Qui Gon-Jinn »

Fry's electronics..

Online price for a 300ft Cat 5 Kit. (cable ends and crimpers) is 24.99

In store on same item with same SKU. 49.99

I raised hell.. they wouldn't match the price on their website.. not a competitors or some internet only place.. but THEIR OWN DAMN SITE.

Ended up doing a "Reservation with credit card" online in the store.. going up and paying cash to get the price I wanted.

I understand maybe not price matching others... but your own damn site.. that is wrong.

Now.. let me go do some HTML code.

Just because I am an a$$hole.. doesn't mean I don't care..

FCKGW RHQQ2 YXRKT 8TG6W 2B7Q8
nitro237

Post by nitro237 »

Qui Gon-Jinn wrote:Fry's electronics..

I understand maybe not price matching others... but your own damn site.. that is wrong.

Now.. let me go do some HTML code.
That is crappy, but don't do it. Just not worth the risk.

Cheap

Post by Cheap »

no one has heard of Just-in-time business? they want stores to carry less inventory, it's cheaper. they pass that on to you in the form of savings if you order online.