pressure washers?

Kick Back and Relax in the Cheers! Forum. Thoughts on life or want advice or thoughts from other pca members. Or just plain "chill". Originator of da Babe threads.
b-man1

pressure washers?

Post by b-man1 »

anyone in the know regarding pressure washers? i've wanted one for quite a while, but it seems everyone says only go with upper-end ones, otherwise the dependability is crap...and not to consider electric at all.

seems the "triaxial" pumps are where it's at, but those are fricking $$$$$$$$$.

i would basically use it a fair amount at first (vinyl siding on my house, deck/driveway cleanup)...then only occasionally for car washing, etc.

thoughts?
wvjohn

Post by wvjohn »

I started a similar thread about a year ago - I was trying to stay cheap but everyone said spend the extra $$ for the ones with the small honda motor. Can't remember off hand what brand I got, no issues after ~20 uses . Think I paid about $300

it was this one http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=p ... lpage=none
<a href="http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=123" target="_blank" >Heatware</a>
normalicy

Post by normalicy »

I have a Karcher 1750 PSI washer & I have been able to do my siding (green mold, ick) just fine. It has a spinning tip thing that gets pretty much anything off (zero point I believe they called it). I use it almost every week to wash my cars. I like having an electric one because they are quiet & only have pressure when being used. I know a number of people who's washer died from the engine keeping the pump running while the washer wasn't being used (they use the water to cool the pump). Not to say that a top end one isn't nice, but for siding & washing cars, I'm fine. Heck, it even cleans my cement & deck fine.
eGoCeNTRoNiX

Post by eGoCeNTRoNiX »

I have a Honda myself, but I don't remember the model.. I've had it for about a year and it has worked great. I know it wasn't more than $350... I'll look for the model# next time I'm at the lake (Tuesday) and post back.

eGo
PM before Email People!!
Heat Under eGoCeNTRoNiX :)
Who Farted? BEANIE!!!
!Welcome to the United States of the Offended!
nitro237

Post by nitro237 »

I have a Honda also, this one

Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

I bought a cheapo electric one from Harbor Freight a few years back to blow off pealing paint on my patio so I could repaint it.
b-man1

Post by b-man1 »

nitro237 wrote:I have a Honda also, this one
i was looking at that exact one...and the 3000 psi model from the same company. those are the only two sams club sells...how long have you had it? opinion?

i would be happy if it lasts at least 3-4 years before falling apart. :)
renovation

Post by renovation »

what ever brand or type you buy .always hook up the hose and turn it on before you start it up. and gas units are stronger then electric. i always liked Honda's over Briggs for motors but you also pay a steeper price.
i personal have a electric unit for around the house .wife and daughter bought it for me a couple of years back (husky by home depot ) . before that i owned a gas with a Honda 5 hp. had a Coleman pump and was a pain trying to find repair parts for. so i took it to a pawn shop and never returned to pick it up :) also would peel the wood on wood decking if i was not careful. also found if homes were using wells to supply there water i found it would use up more water then some well pumps could supply. never a problem if the home had city water supply's. so keep that in mind if your on a private well and not city water. and if you really want to spend the money you can buy a hot water power washer. they have a propane water heater built into the unit. talk about getting a great car wash. also they sell attachments that will fit most power washer units like spinning soft brushs and extra hoses ,and heads designed just for cleaning driveways.
the Last time I was Talking to myself . I got into such a heated argument . that is why I swore I never talk to that guy again. you know what it worked now no buddy talking to me. :help
b-man1

Post by b-man1 »

thanks...good info. i am on city water, so tap pressure is good. i would like to keep the budget for this under $400. besides house siding and other stuff, i want to get a foaming attachment for it (aka foam cannon)...to satisfy the auto detailer in me. :)

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7KYtQZefqLM&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7KYtQZefqLM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
wvjohn

Post by wvjohn »

I think that nitro and I have the same basic one. Laughting dragon factory 9. I used mine off a well and it was not problem. I also bought one of those wands on wheels to clean the driveway and pool deck. I really never used the highest pressure nozzle that much. I also swapped in another 25 hose and used the wand thingy to clean my swimming pool.
<a href="http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=123" target="_blank" >Heatware</a>
nitro237

Post by nitro237 »

b-man1 wrote:i was looking at that exact one...and the 3000 psi model from the same company. those are the only two sams club sells...how long have you had it? opinion?

i would be happy if it lasts at least 3-4 years before falling apart. :)
I've only had mine about 10 months. I used it to get over paint overspray off of the brick on my house. It worked great, even took overspray off that had been there for years. I also cleaned the driveway with it. So for, it's been fine.

renovation

Post by renovation »

i want to get a foaming attachment for it
i have this unit. mine came with the unit . it ok but seems to go though a lot more soap then what the video showed and never foamed up as good .maybe its the wrong cleaner im using but never got those results . in suds or volume seems to empty out very fast of soap. but i only had a 2 inch well before at the house now i have a new 5 inch well it may improve .i let you know later today after i wash the cars in one or two hours :)
the Last time I was Talking to myself . I got into such a heated argument . that is why I swore I never talk to that guy again. you know what it worked now no buddy talking to me. :help
eGoCeNTRoNiX

Post by eGoCeNTRoNiX »

renovation wrote:i have this unit. mine came with the unit . it ok but seems to go though a lot more soap then what the video showed and never foamed up as good .maybe its the wrong cleaner im using but never got those results . in suds or volume seems to empty out very fast of soap. but i only had a 2 inch well before at the house now i have a new 5 inch well it may improve .i let you know later today after i wash the cars in one or two hours :)
It could be that you have hard water.. Hard water makes it very hard for suds to form.

eGo
PM before Email People!!
Heat Under eGoCeNTRoNiX :)
Who Farted? BEANIE!!!
!Welcome to the United States of the Offended!
b-man1

Post by b-man1 »

the amount of foam is like an entire science in itself. there are numerous threads on the autopia forums regarding different equipment (different lance attachments, etc), the type and ratio of soap, etc.
Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

eGoCeNTRoNiX wrote:It could be that you have hard water.. Hard water makes it very hard for suds to form.

eGo
Ditto! You have hard water. I wash my car by hand, but with my soft water unit from Culligan, I use very little soap and I have lots of suds.