Cash for Gold...

Kick Back and Relax in the Cheers! Forum. Thoughts on life or want advice or thoughts from other pca members. Or just plain "chill". Originator of da Babe threads.
eGoCeNTRoNiX

Cash for Gold...

Post by eGoCeNTRoNiX »

Rip off or Not? I have some old jewelry some with diamonds, some without, anywhere from 10-18 karat gold and I'm curious as to whether or not it's worth doing something like this. Or should I just take it to a pawn shop? I'm not attached to it in any way. The only piece I will keep is her Wedding set, the rest of it is not they style of my fiance and she won't wear it. So I figure I might as well sell it to have some extra money for fun on the Honey Moon.. Should I go this route, or try to sell it on eBay? Or do jewelers buy vintage jewelry? Never been in this situation before, so I'm totally curious.

Thanks!

eGo
PM before Email People!!
Heat Under eGoCeNTRoNiX :)
Who Farted? BEANIE!!!
!Welcome to the United States of the Offended!
renovation

Post by renovation »

take it local and hit 2 shops !
they did a thing here on the news a while back .they bought 5-6 of the same item and it turned out locally they got the best prices -the mail in- really screwed them .
the places that said they payed the highest were not. also its such a blind market its really easy to be rip off as a buyer or seller . they had the peices all certified by a guy as to weight and value retail and wholesale before they even tryed reselling them.
the Last time I was Talking to myself . I got into such a heated argument . that is why I swore I never talk to that guy again. you know what it worked now no buddy talking to me. :help
renovation

Post by renovation »

ps it was wxyz tv detroit who did this if you want to try and do a search for it.
the Last time I was Talking to myself . I got into such a heated argument . that is why I swore I never talk to that guy again. you know what it worked now no buddy talking to me. :help
eGoCeNTRoNiX

Post by eGoCeNTRoNiX »

I'll do that.. I just hate not having some idea of what it's worth.. I have a couple of necklaces, 3 large rings w/diamonds and one with a pearl.. lol.. I guess we'll find out in a week or so. I may just take them to one of the jewelers I've been working with on our wedding sets and see if he can at least appraise them..
PM before Email People!!
Who Farted? BEANIE!!!
renovation

Post by renovation »

eGoCeNTRoNiX wrote:I'll do that.. I just hate not having some idea of what it's worth.. I have a couple of necklaces, 3 large rings w/diamonds and one with a pearl.. lol.. I guess we'll find out in a week or so. I may just take them to one of the jewelers I've been working with on our wedding sets and see if he can at least appraise them..
:s mile
Koo Koo Mouse

Post by Koo Koo Mouse »

I going to do the same thing soon. I have two gold rings from the first and second wife. Going to weigh them on my works (very accurate) gram scale and do lil math, check gold prices and have somewhat of and idea?
In fact got them out ready to weigh tommorow. Wish I knew more for ya!
normalicy

Post by normalicy »

I've heard nothing but bad things about the cash for gold places. I believe that pawn shops are one of your best bets. But the idea to take it to a few places is probably best.
MidnightSin

Post by MidnightSin »

Worked for 3 years at a cash for gold place.

Understand that they dont care how it looks or how much labor was put into the piece. Its only about the metal.

Check the current price of gold the day you go in and make sure they are paying you current spot price for your stuff. I have even bought old dental gold with the gold still in it. Take it to the back room and knock the teath out with a hammer and all is good.
eGoCeNTRoNiX

Post by eGoCeNTRoNiX »

Yah, from what I've found in further research I will probably get more for it if I have it appraised (I don't know what quality some of the diamonds are) and try to sell it on eBay. I don't "need" to sell it so I'm not willing to let it go for a pittance. If I'm only going to get $100-$200 for it, I'll keep it. heh Thanks for all the input!

eGo
PM before Email People!!
Who Farted? BEANIE!!!
Pugsley

Post by Pugsley »

Most if not all cash for gold places are like automotive scrap yards. They don't really care what it is worth as a car, just its value as scrap metal.
[align=center]A self-aware artificial intelligence would suffer from a divide by zero error if it were programmed to be Amish[/align]