The Boeing 747 is heading for retirement

Kick Back and Relax in the Cheers! Forum. Thoughts on life or want advice or thoughts from other pca members. Or just plain "chill". Originator of da Babe threads.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

The Boeing 747 is heading for retirement

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

I got to enjoy some flights in a 747. One memorable one, was a first class flight to NY in that upper cabin. It was pretty cool (if you're a fan of aviation as I am). It really did feel like a massive beast in the skies.

I'm looking forward to eventually flying in the A380. That thing look impressive as hell.
------------------------------------------

wvjohn

Post by wvjohn »

I was in college in St. Louis when they first started flying - one day we saw one over by the airport and everyone went "WTF!" is that. Never got to ride on one. I rarely fly, and it gets more crowded and annoying each time I do. I remember back in the day though, when it was $28 to fly standby DC to St. Louis, and you usually had 2-3 seats to yourself :)
<a href="http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=123" target="_blank" >Heatware</a>
normalicy

Post by normalicy »

They've been on their way our for 20 years now. When a plane starts to be used for freight, you know it's close to the end.
Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

normalicy wrote:They've been on their way our for 20 years now. When a plane starts to be used for freight, you know it's close to the end.
That's not necessarily true because many planes have a passenger and freight variants. Some were designed like that from the beginning, to target both industries and increase their customer base.

Others, like the Airbus A380 are designed to do both. The buyer decides how they want the layout to be. You can have cargo in the lower and middle deck, taking away some passenger seats.

What tends to kill these planes is when they're no longer as economically feasible compared to something newer. The Airbus A380 was the nail in the 747s coffin. Boeing hasn't been able to counter that yet, even with their new replacement for the 747.
------------------------------------------

normalicy

Post by normalicy »

Yeah, but I've been seeing passenger 747s that have been converted to freight for a while now.