Dongle 'fixes' your PC's security by killing your USB port

Kick Back and Relax in the Cheers! Forum. Thoughts on life or want advice or thoughts from other pca members. Or just plain "chill". Originator of da Babe threads.
Err
Life Member

Dongle 'fixes' your PC's security by killing your USB port

Post by Err »

http://www.engadget.com/2015/11/08/usb-killer/

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/usb-killer--2#/story

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/2SJcQ4h2DmI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

You could achieve the same results by jamming a flathead screwdriver into your USB ports.
Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

There has to be a better solution such as software to prompt you to enter a password to copy files to a USB device.
RubberDuckie

Post by RubberDuckie »

I bet this is being sold as a vandalism device. I buy one, plug it into your computer and bam I just got revenge for you not letting me copy last weeks homework.

This is not being sold as a protect your computer as it is damage someone else's computer
JSTMF
ZYFER

Post by ZYFER »

Imagine some kid going around school just jacking these into school computers. You just make it easier to incite vandalism. This is a terrible idea, no to mention there are other ways to "pull" your data. Who is this to protect you from? TV show hack jobs?
When all else fails, replace the user.
Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

I was just thinking the same thing. This is simply a device for ruining someone else's computer. I can imagine a bunch of punks using these in schools, electronics stores or anywhere else where they just want to be little ass-hats.
------------------------------------------

Pugsley

Post by Pugsley »

I thought of making a product along similar lines but targeted at console gamers. It was going to be a NEW lag switch that works with XBONE and PS3/4. All it was going to be was a switch in a box with a 110 cord and 2 network ports. When you turn the switch on it sends 110 down the network cables blowing out the network port on the console.
[align=center]A self-aware artificial intelligence would suffer from a divide by zero error if it were programmed to be Amish[/align]
renovation

Post by renovation »

kind of funny seeing my wife about got hacked today on her Ipad . she went to pay a bill for some medical bill from her md office .anyway she got one of those screens to call this no.it some indian or half ass english speaking aholes on the other end , the guys trying to tell her she has to connect her ipad to are desktop and they need to fix a problem with her ipad . glad she figured it was a scam .she keep asking if he was from apple, he refused to say he was . hshe said she just take the ipad to a apple store and have them fix it . it got to the point she said let me had the phone tomy husband ,I just hung up on his dumb ass . I happen to just walk into are house at the right time. she wouldn't of let the ass on are computer anyway but I did get a good laugh out of it all . I will say its a first for me to see a apple computer get this type of scam .I heard they can be but its still a first for me.
the Last time I was Talking to myself . I got into such a heated argument . that is why I swore I never talk to that guy again. you know what it worked now no buddy talking to me. :help
ZYFER

Post by ZYFER »

This is the kind of stuff going around, people who call you and try to get you to install crap on your computer. They are just targeting people who aren't savvy. I had one trying to pretend they were from Microsoft.
When all else fails, replace the user.