WV flooding

Kick Back and Relax in the Cheers! Forum. Thoughts on life or want advice or thoughts from other pca members. Or just plain "chill". Originator of da Babe threads.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

WV flooding

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Hoping all is well with you and yours wvjohn. Looks bad on the news.
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

wvjohn

Re: WV flooding

Post by wvjohn »

Thanks, Bob. I live in the eastern panhandle almost on the Maryland line, and it wasn't too bad up here. We did have a couple of small tornados last week. The southern part of the state is where the bad flooding happened, and it is really tragic that in this day and age so many died. Large parts of WV have never been more than colonies servicing coal and timber extraction, and the infrastructure is totally third world - roads falling apart, limited medical and emergency support. A lot of the natural watersheds have been disrupted by mining, logging, and quick and dirty development. I live on a ridge with an elevation of about 650 ft, so my main issue is wind.
wvjohn

Post by wvjohn »

reno
The artist formerly known as Renovation

Post by reno »

I have a friend working this summer at The Gesundheit Institute in Hillsboro, WV. ya kind of wondering how its there . we not heard anything from Jim for last couple of days .we know internet really like not avail there or next to.its so bad they cant post or receive any email with pictures . for that they have to drive into town and go to the library and use there Internet. he took a 3 month stint as a jack of all trades. (building repairs ,auto repair ,you name it, lawn cutter,painter what ever needed ) second time he been there now . last year he went for like a month
wvjohn

Post by wvjohn »

Hillboro is in Pocahontas county with is down in the southern part of the state, so they probably got some of it. A large chunk of the county is a radio quiet zone because of the big radio telescope arrays there ( and a former US Navy/xyz agency massive listening post which closed down recently). I used to go to work conferences at the ski resort there, and you had to use skype b/c there was no cell service. Gorgeous countryside and a working steam railway line.
reno
The artist formerly known as Renovation

Post by reno »

my friend just posted that there all ok were he is at. but not far away from there they are not. :(
https://weather.com/news/news/west-virg ... ws-impacts
Greetings from the Pocahontas County, WV Federal Disaster Zone!
The Gesundheit! Institute, is without power. But, NOT flood damaged.