Internet-enabled sex toys

Kick Back and Relax in the Cheers! Forum. Thoughts on life or want advice or thoughts from other pca members. Or just plain "chill". Originator of da Babe threads.
Executioner
Life Member

Internet-enabled sex toys

Post by Executioner »

:eek: :hair :w :w :w

Smart’ Dildo Company Sued For Tracking Users’ Habits
http://www.vocativ.com/358530/smart-dil ... rs-habits/
A woman is suing her dildo manufacturer for knowing too much about when and how she uses it.

A few weeks ago, two researchers told the Defcon hacking convention audience that We Vibe “smart” sex toys send a lot of data about their users back to the company that makes them. According to Courthouse News, one We Viber took this news hard. A woman known only as “N.P.” filed a class action civil suit in a federal court in Illinois against Standard Innovation, which makes the We Vibe line of sex toys and corresponding app.

The smartphone app lets users “customize” their We Vibe experience, unlock app-only “bonus” vibration modes such as the “cha-cha-cha” and the “crest,” and “create unlimited custom playlists,” according to the product’s website. In the suit, N.P. says she bought a We Vibe in May and used it “several times” until she realized that it was sending data about her usage practices back to Standard Innovation’s servers, including when she used it, which vibration settings she used, and her email address.

The two researchers, known only as “followr” and “g0ldfisk,” said they discovered the amount of data the app transmitted back to Standard Innovation when looking for security flaws (not an unheard of possibility when it comes to internet-enabled sex toys). After the presentation, a spokesperson for the company told CNET it would “clarify” its terms and conditions to make it more obvious that the app could transmit data, which was “mostly anonymized” was being used for “market research.” It would also add the ability to opt-out. The company (which did not respond to request for comment) also posted a “commitment to customer privacy and security” on its website.

That was either not good enough for N.P., or it came too late. And given what information the We Vibe collects, it’s easy to see why she would be particularly sensitive here. She’s accusing Standard Innovation of consumer fraud, unjust enrichment, intrusion upon seclusion, and violating the Federal Wiretap Act and the Illinois Eavesdropping Statute, and asking for punitive damages.
wvjohn

Re: Internet-enabled sex toys

Post by wvjohn »

our best and brightest are becoming dildo haxtors.
Err
Life Member

Post by Err »

This company really screwed her over.
wvjohn

Post by wvjohn »

I saw an ad during football last night for a wireless enabled IOT garage door opener...hook that up with this hardware for big mischief....
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

I predicted IoT devices would bite us all in the arse someday. Looks like I got that part of the anatomy wrong...
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

One has to ask; what data are they transmitting?

Start up time?
Duration?
Frequency?
Speed setting?
Features used?
Speaking of features, is it like a drill and have a hammer feature?
And if so, what setting was that on? And how often?
What was the model?
What was the make?
What size?
Battery powered? AC?
wvjohn

Post by wvjohn »

Interesting reviews on Amazon, but kinda NSFW. Can be run from your (or someone else's ) Iphone. Once device is "armed" ;), it can be operated remotely. Apparently lower power settings are quiet enough for restaurants. :rolleyes:
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

So, seriously, I think I understand the basic operation of a vibrating dildo. Why the #%@& does it have to also be an IoT device? Granted I understand the variable vibration schemes, but surely this would be simpler to implement as dumb logic with a slider switch on the device without having to involve a cell phone and a server.
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

Err
Life Member

Post by Err »

FlyingPenguin wrote:So, seriously, I think I understand the basic operation of a vibrating dildo. Why the #%@& does it have to also be an IoT device? Granted I understand the variable vibration schemes, but surely this would be simpler to implement as dumb logic with a slider switch on the device without having to involve a cell phone and a server.
If you can have a partner control the device remotely, I can see see the point. However, this could be done without the need for an intermediate server. However, if you just want a device with a rhythm, using a simple drum machine like controller would work.
Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

Just buy a damn wireless vibrator and have fun. I've seen those advertised for YEARS! Why the hell would you want it going over the Internet where it can be tracked or hacked?