The Joy Of Tech: The Internet of Ransomware Things...

Kick Back and Relax in the Cheers! Forum. Thoughts on life or want advice or thoughts from other pca members. Or just plain "chill". Originator of da Babe threads.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

The Joy Of Tech: The Internet of Ransomware Things...

Post by FlyingPenguin »

"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Pugsley

Re: The Joy Of Tech: The Internet of Ransomware Things...

Post by Pugsley »

I enjoy the hackers messing with devices in homes. If you are too dumb to secure you stuff this is what will happen. Wait for it:

https://youtu.be/ZodXLiGLsAU
EvilHorace
Life Member

Post by EvilHorace »

Here, they're all behind my firewall and wouldn't someone tech savvy enough to hack it then also have to know that you have the devices inside too?
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

A firewall doesn't help you if it's a device that has an ooen port to the Internet. Most of these Iot devices HAVE to be accessible to the Internet in order to be useful.

For instance CCTV DVRs or security cams all host a web server so you can check on your place from your phone. If that server has poor security or uses a default password then it could be hacked and compromised.

That's how last week's DNS attack occurred: a massive DDOS attack on a major DNS provider from millions of compromised web cams and other Iot devices.

There's tools out there like Shodan that can be used to scan for open iot servers.

I'll post it when I get back later, but there's a tool someone setup that checks Shodan's database to see if it detected any possibly compromised service ports at your IP address.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Here you go:

Bullguard Internet of Things Scanner:
http://www.bullguard.com/blog/2016/06/b ... vices.html

EvilHorace
Life Member

Post by EvilHorace »

I'll check that later. Thanks