The Washington Post: The painful truth about teeth

Kick Back and Relax in the Cheers! Forum. Thoughts on life or want advice or thoughts from other pca members. Or just plain "chill". Originator of da Babe threads.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

The Washington Post: The painful truth about teeth

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

Executioner
Life Member

Re: The Washington Post: The painful truth about teeth

Post by Executioner »

I've had issues with my teeth since I was in my early 30's. Before then, I never went to a dentist - BIG MISTAKE!
My wife finally convinced me that I should go and have them checked out. So I did. The dentist was shocked that I never have gone to a dentist. After looking at my mouth, it was clear that the years of build up was going to be a 2 hour job, so they only cleaned one side first. They also took x-rays, and were surprised that I did not have any cavities. After 2 weeks and having the other side cleaned, I thought I was good to go for several more years. BFM! I came back 6 months later for a follow-up, and now I have 2 cavities.

I continued to go every 6 months for cleanings, but during checkups, my pocket depth in some locations were at 8's and 9's. After moving here in 2015, I found a new dentist, and they said I need a "deep cleaning". So far, I've had 3 of these, and they are not fun and can be painful. The good news is my pocket depth have decreased to 5's. I also started to use an electric tooth brush, and use Crest mouth wash rinse before I go to bed at night, and in the morning after eating breakfast. Seems to be working at improving my gum and teeth health.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Yeah, that's what defines class in this country in my book. I've never had dental insurance - I just pay out of pocket. I never went to a dentist in my 20's unless I had to, and I had a LOT of cavities and pulled a couple of teeth that I wish I hadn't now.

When I started earning a good living in my 30s I started getting my teeth cleaned on a regular basis, installed some crowns to fix the worst of them, and just keep up good maintenance. I haven't had a cavity in years, my pocket depth is good and stable. I floss and use a water pik every night.

Bad teeth can really make you miserable AND even make you sick. It's sad that so many people can't afford good dental care.
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

Crowns - a yes. I forgot to mention those. I have a few installed, and earlier this year, I had to have one of my back molars pulled due to an infection under the tooth.

Yeah I think that dental is more important that even seeing a regular doc, but in my case, I go every 6 months just to make sure.