Alexa, We’re Still Trying to Figure Out What to Do With You

Kick Back and Relax in the Cheers! Forum. Thoughts on life or want advice or thoughts from other pca members. Or just plain "chill". Originator of da Babe threads.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Alexa, We’re Still Trying to Figure Out What to Do With You

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Funny, just before reading this article, I went to my dentist and noticed all the dental assistants are using Alexa's as hands free timers for impressions and stuff that needs to be timed. Don't seem to be using it for anything else. Damn expensive timer, but it does the job.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2018/01/15/t ... alexa.html
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

Pugsley

Re: Alexa, We’re Still Trying to Figure Out What to Do With You

Post by Pugsley »

The problem all the tech sector nerds make is that people WANT internet connected stuff. I want one device (my assistant what ever it might be) and all my other devices to only connect to it and to not rely on internet to work. But that won't happen so I wont use stuff like this.
Genom
Steely Eyed Missile Man

Post by Genom »

If you have spent money on a IoT home, they are interesting/fun. But otherwise, they are just wireless speakers and timers. I've started to build out some home automation stuff interacting with Google stuff, and it is interesting to be able to control some lights and the thermostats with easy voice commands, or push stuff to the TV's, but it's not earth shaking for me, just curious convenience.
Pugsley

Post by Pugsley »

I would like to have some light go on at dusk and what not and if i wanted to spend the money powered blinds/drapes are cool as hell.
Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

We use our various Alexa units for different things:
-Morning alarms for our daughter, that plays music.
-Updates on our calendar.
-Weather info.
-Daily commute info.
-Control the Nest thermostat.
-Control the sprinklers.
-News info.
-Background music.
-Solve math problems quickly.
-Define words.
-Add/Remove items from the grocery list we take to the store.

There's a lot you can do. Problem is we don't tend to think of going to the Alexa unit first. We still instinctively go with the old tried & true methods. We still do it sometimes, forgetting that the Alexa can provide us with the info.