Video games, not guns, to blame for school shooting, says Kentucky gov.

Kick Back and Relax in the Cheers! Forum. Thoughts on life or want advice or thoughts from other pca members. Or just plain "chill". Originator of da Babe threads.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Video games, not guns, to blame for school shooting, says Kentucky gov.

Post by FlyingPenguin »

"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Executioner
Life Member

Re: Video games, not guns, to blame for school shooting, says Kentucky gov.

Post by Executioner »

Here we go again. I'm tried of hearing that same crap from these politicians. To me, it was quite obvious that the FBI, Police, and school officials knew something about this kid, but did nothing.
Pugsley

Post by Pugsley »

Oh man. Here we go. Lets put laws into place to prevent minors from playing violent games.... good luck with that. Cant even do Gun control right what makes you think Video game control will work?
Err
Life Member

Post by Err »

Bevin recalled that children used to regularly bring guns to school after Christmas when he was a child but said it's changes to society that have led to those children using those guns in schools today. "We as adults have to stop acting like children ourselves. We need to step up and say that right is right and wrong is wrong."
I'll take "Things That Never Happened" for $1,000 Alex.

The jerk that shot up the school bought all of the guns legally. Perhaps we need to raise the age for purchasing long arms to 21 like handguns. At least it would be something. We've had 17 school shootings in 2018. The first school shooting that I remember happened in Kentucky. In the early 90's a kid brought a gun to school and shot his teacher.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_Cart ... l_shooting
Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

Err wrote:We've had 17 school shootings in 2018.
That's actually incorrect. The media has been exaggerating.
https://reason.com/blog/2018/02/16/ther ... -shootings
A quick review of Everytown's database turns up other outlandish examples. On January 10, "gunshots, which most likely originated off-campus, hit a window of the visual arts building at California State University, San Bernardino.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Snopes has a pretty good breakdown of the list as well:

https://www.snopes.com/2018/02/16/how-m ... s-in-2018/
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

Key Keeper

Post by Key Keeper »

Firearm age should be 21...period. Along with tobacco products as well.

And with all due respect, people have just completely forgot how to parent or are too lazy to do so. This kids parents are just f'd up for letting the kid buy a weapon and live with them And yes, everyone knew the kid was whacked out but did nadda. Simple fix, put a few armed police officers at the door of every school. They guard our banks, our stars, our president, and our hospitals....wtf do we not protect whats most important, the next generation.
Err
Life Member

Post by Err »

This kid didn't just buy a gun, he bought 10 of them.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/fl ... 7adf710156

I really want an investigation on how he got the money to do so. The AR could've been the most expensive one he bought but even a cheap gun should be expensive for a 19 year old.

The problem with having armed guards everywhere is simply cost. Schools won't buy textbooks and skimp on supplies. Do you really think they will pay for the guards plus the liability insurance that goes with it? Don't get me wrong, I think this is the way to go too but the public will never go for it once they realize they need to raise property tax to pay for it.

It really sucks that many gun owners, including me, are for better gun control and buyer vetting. Bump stocks ought to be illegal along with any device that modifies firing rate. I know this can be easily modified by the individual but there shouldn't be an off the shelf item. Again, to echo others, raise long arms (rifles and shotguns) to 21. Handguns are already 21 and are the leading cause of suicides. I think the age ought to be 25 for Handgun purchases. You can't even rent a car until your 25 in most places. I would also be for limiting the number of firearm purchases per year, instituting a mandatory waiting period, and eliminating Person to Person sales. In order to sell or gift a gun to an individual, a background check needs to be performed by a licensed dealer.

I realize nothing I listed would stop the next shooter as the guns are already out there but at least we'd be doing something. I just saw today that a 7th grader shot himself about 40 miles from where I live:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/jackson-lo ... on-campus/
Key Keeper

Post by Key Keeper »

Well maybe they could spend less time hiding behind signs, trees, and billboards surfing the web on their phone, and actually protect and serve in the schools. I know 5 officers, they all "F" off more than they actually work and all are in different counties/districts. Since tax dollars are already paying their salary...

As for gun control, its shouldn't be control, it should be registration and monitoring. Get caught with an unregistered firearm, then get some jail time, forced (self pay) fire arms course, and forced registration with elevated fees. Once all complete, then they get their firearm back and now they are properly trained. Hell you get caught with a joint or driving while drinking, its a helluva lot stiffer penalty....the scales are skewed bad in this case. Taking guns away from law abiding citizens does not in any way make a criminal who has no regard for the law, suddenly obey.

You neighbor runs over a person with his car, now you lose your car. its really that simple.

When it comes to AR/SK/AK type rifles, these should by all means require a special registration and waiting period prior to issuing a possession license that's paid for as well. If someone really wants to own an AR10 or AK47 then the fee they pay wouldn't mean squat to them. We have to pay for registration every year for a car we OWN. The gov is great at creating taxes, until it cuts into gun manf pockets or the NRAs lobbying budget...
Pugsley

Post by Pugsley »

I too have an AR. That thing is junk for mass killing. Even if full auto and drum mags. You really want to kill people in a school a milk jug full of gunpowder and ball bearings tossed into a class room would be way more deadly then an AR could be.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

I can agree there ARE more efficient ways to kill large numbers of people (bomb, trucks, etc), but the fact is RELATIVE ease of killing. An automatic pistol is more efficient than a revolver, a semi-auto shotgun with a drum clip is more efficient than a pump shotgun, an AR is more efficient than my trusty Marlin lever action 30-30.

I'm a gun owner, and while I personally have no use for an AR style weapon, I can understand someone wanting to collect and fire them. However, background checks in this country are a joke. I have a relative that has been Baker acted more times than I can count, and is a diagnosed bi-polar (what we used to call a paranoid- schizophrenic). She has a nasty habit of shooting inanimate objects (cars, coffee machines, bedroom walls) she believes are possessed 'demons' when she's off her meds. Yet she can (and does) legally own an automatic pistol. She gets arrested, they take her to a mental facility, they stabilize her, then give her back her gun and send her home. Does that make sense?

A uniform federal background check, is in no way a threat to anyone's 2nd amendment rights - unless they're a threat to other people.

While we're at it, how about a federal conceal carry law so I don't have to worry about reciprocity while crossing state lines?

There is absolutely no rational need for bump stocks - the idea that they're only bought by people who are handicapped is a friggin' joke.

And why not a little extra scrutiny in a background check - on the same level as concealed carry - for people who want to buy assault rifles?

And ultimately, this is all meaningless if there's no enforcement of personal gun sales.

Oh and if I hear one more person tell me their AR is necessary for 'hunting' I'll just scream. You don't NEED an AR for hunting. My 30-30 or 12 gauge is a perfectly good hunting weapon. You CAN hunt with an AR but you don't NEED it to hunt.

Err
Life Member

Post by Err »

Oh and if I hear one more person tell me their AR is necessary for 'hunting' I'll just scream.
I hate hearing that too. Putting a Federal Concealed carry law in along with tougher background checks would also help get votes.
Pugsley

Post by Pugsley »

I agree with everything and only have this note to add about owning BBG's. You don't need sports cars but they exist. I don't need my AR but its my only gun and I rarely take it out any more now that I have figured out how to shoot.

Everyone has opinions on guns but people who have never used one or gone through the process of getting one should not be arguing about it like they know everything. And for that fact people who have shouldn't either. There is no right fix everything answer to all of this.