Our Dental Insurance Sent us “Free” Internet-Connected Toothbrushes. And this is What Happened Next

Kick Back and Relax in the Cheers! Forum. Thoughts on life or want advice or thoughts from other pca members. Or just plain "chill". Originator of da Babe threads.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Our Dental Insurance Sent us “Free” Internet-Connected Toothbrushes. And this is What Happened Next

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Ok, this guy could have opted out of this and I'm sure as a journalist he decided to opt-in to be able to write about it, so it's not QUITE as Orwellian as he makes it out, but it is none-the-less a disturbing trend. If his dental plan makes him use an IoT toothbrush to confirm he's brushing regularly and using that to set his insurance premium, how far away are we from a health insurance provider requiring you wear a Fit-Bit type device as part of your insurance plan? Creepy.

https://wolfstreet.com/2018/04/14/our-d ... ened-next/
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

wvjohn

Re: Our Dental Insurance Sent us “Free” Internet-Connected Toothbrushes. And this is What Happened Next

Post by wvjohn »

I have seen reports of insurance companies that require you to wear a fitbit to get a "special rate" or a discount. I saw a complaint from a teacher somewher that they couldn't meet the required number of steps because they spent the day teaching and grading, and were therefor going to be hit with a $$ penalty. Of course, no one would ever put the fitbit on their dog....

Even worser is reports that Amazon type warehouses require such trackers to make workers "more efficient".

BTW Wolf does really good stuff on housing and his site is one of the few that covers mexico and spanish speaking europe in any detail.