Tesla turns itself into a BBQ

Kick Back and Relax in the Cheers! Forum. Thoughts on life or want advice or thoughts from other pca members. Or just plain "chill". Originator of da Babe threads.
wvjohn

Tesla turns itself into a BBQ

Post by wvjohn »

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... california

there's a good vid but I couldn't get it to link

Tesla goes up in flames in video captured by actor Mary McCormack

Actor says husband was flagged down by passersby who told him to get out

Actor Mary McCormack captures moment her husband's Tesla goes up in flames - video

Actor Mary McCormack has shared video of her husband’s Tesla car catching fire while in traffic in California. Flames can be seen shooting out from underneath the vehicle as it sits on the side of the road.

McCormack said in an accompanying tweet it was not the result of an accident and that the incident came “out of the blue”. She is married to British director Michael Morris, a former director of the Old Vic theatre who has produced episodes of hit Netflix shows including 13 Reasons Why, Kingdom and Bloodline.

McCormack said the electric car had not been on autopilot at the time and was a “normal Tesla”. Sheriff’s Lieutenant William Nash in West Hollywood confirmed on Saturday that deputies saw smoke coming from the electric vehicle and then fire. Deputies requested help from firefighters who quickly extinguished the flames.

Tesla called the incident “an extraordinarily unusual occurrence” and said it was investigating.

Nash said the driver, who was not named in a log entry, had got out of the car and that there were no injuries. Nash said the log entry cited the possibility of a faulty battery.

Representatives for McCormack did not immediately return a message on Saturday seeking comment.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Re: Tesla turns itself into a BBQ

Post by FlyingPenguin »

I love how people are ranting on Twitter that Teslas are rolling fire hazards. You mean like the GASOLINE filled bombs we're driving around in?

Cars catch file, and are loaded with flammables, be they gasoline, diesel, or lithium.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

reno
The artist formerly known as Renovation

Post by reno »

some think compressed natural gas and hydrogen power cars also fuel Cells are and will be safer .if a car is involved in a crash the right way .it could become a ticking time bomb.
Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

My suspicious side wonders if this is all some elaborate conspiracy by the major automakers, that would rather see Tesla fail. Hmmmmm.... ;)
Err
Life Member

Post by Err »

I seem to remember this happening once before to a Tesla. Tesla found that a piece of debris had pierced the battery and either issued a recall or service bulletin to install a protective shield. I wonder if this particular car was part of that generation and if the recall/service bulletin was performed.

I hate that this will be used against electric cars. Modern fuel injection systems are under enormous pressure. If one of those lines were to be compromised and burst, the car would catch fire immediately too.
Pugsley

Post by Pugsley »

Yeah lets count the number of electric cars that have caught fire and then count the number of other cars that have caught fire and knock off 3 zeros and i bet other cars still caught on fire more then an electric.