Alexa in your hotel room

Kick Back and Relax in the Cheers! Forum. Thoughts on life or want advice or thoughts from other pca members. Or just plain "chill". Originator of da Babe threads.
wvjohn

Alexa in your hotel room

Post by wvjohn »

what could possibly go wrong. Hotels will be able to do custom programming. Alexa in Vegas "alexa, send %#$#$ to room 345"

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/06 ... t-devices/

Hotel rooms will serve as the newest homes for Amazon's Alexa starting this summer. Amazon announced a special version of its virtual assistant, Alexa for Hospitality, that will live across Echo devices placed in hotels, vacation rentals, and other similar locations.

Further Reading
Amazon confirms that Echo device secretly shared user’s private audio [Updated]
Alexa in these devices will be able to do special things for both hospitality professionals and their customers. Amazon claims its Alexa for Hospitality experience will let hotel professionals "deepen engagement" through its voice controls that customers can use. Hotels can also customize some of the experience that they want their customers to have by choosing default music services, creating special Alexa Skills that only their guests can use, and monitor device online status and other connectivity issues.

Guests staying in a room with an Echo device will likely find the experience either convenient or invasive. Guests can ask Alexa to do things like order room service, answer questions about hotel services, control some in-room connected devices like lights and blinds, and more. Alexa Skills will also be available, so guests can use a Skill such as Flight Tracker to check the status of their flight before checking out.

<<<<Those who already embrace Alexa will also enjoy a feature coming soon after Alexa for Hospitality's launch: the ability to temporarily connect your Amazon account to an in-room Echo device. Doing so will allow guests to access their own content like music and audiobooks from the hotel's Alexa-enabled device. Once guests check out, their account gets disconnected from that Echo device.>>>>

Those who aren't as enamored with Alexa may not be happy to stay in a room with a constantly-listening virtual assistant. According to a report by the Verge, Amazon programmed Alexa for Hospitality with a few special privacy measures: recordings of Alexa commands are deleted daily, and hotels can't get access to guests' voice recordings or Alexa's responses to those voice recordings. However, hotels will be able to "measure engagement through analytics and adapt services based on guest feedback," which likely means that they will have access to some information regarding guest interaction with in-room Alexa devices.

While those are good safeguards to have in place, there will still be guests who don't want Alexa anywhere in their hotel experience. The introduction of Alexa for Hospitality comes shortly after Amazon confirmed that Alexa on an Echo device recorded a private conversation and sent it to a person in the user's contact list as a message. Device logs confirmed that the Echo in this case accidentally heard "Alexa" and "send message" within the conversation.

Alexa for Hospitality rolls out this summer starting at Marriott Hotels, Westin Hotels & Resorts, St. Regis Hotels & Resorts, Aloft Hotels, and Autograph Collection Hotels.

Update, 10:31am ET: According to an Amazon representative, hotel guests can request for the Echo device to be removed from their room if they do not want to make use of Alexa during their stay.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Re: Alexa in your hotel room

Post by FlyingPenguin »

It's like using Netflix in your hotel room - something the nicer hotels are offering now. Your option if you want to use it or not. I've used it, and I appreciate having it. They're SUPPOSED to wipe your Netflix login from the TV after you check out but I ALWAYS wipe it myself before leaving. Better safe than sorry.

Let's face it, we all want the Star Trek talking computer future, and lots of people use Alexa at home. So if you're already using one, then you've come to expect it - like a coffee maker in your hotel room (I refuse to stay in a hotel without one). If you don't want the Alexa, you can ask for it to be removed or just turn it off yourself.

I suspect there will come a time when these things will be as ubiquitous as smart phones. There will always be a few old codgers or paranoids who will use a flip phone instead, and same for Alexa.

Me personally, not interested in an Alexa in MY home right now, but I can see a time down the road when it might happen.

It's not like your phone isn't listening to everything you say if you have Siri or Hey Google enabled. I find Hey Google way too useful when I'm driving to turn it off.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

reno
The artist formerly known as Renovation

Re: Alexa in your hotel room

Post by reno »

i have no problem with alexa. but I do laugh when there ads are on tv and my alexa in my living room replies ! we own 2 Alexa units one in are bedroom and one in are living room .we bought the Alexa Dot first and a friend sent us the Alexa Tap as a gift.
look for years we all been followed by devices Home security systems , cable tv , computers , cars , some medical devices and now your buying small and large home appliances that have wifi . in August LG sending me a wifi Dishwasher this should be interesting running it via my cell phone or wifes .