I joined the dark side...

Kick Back and Relax in the Cheers! Forum. Thoughts on life or want advice or thoughts from other pca members. Or just plain "chill". Originator of da Babe threads.
b-man1

I joined the dark side...

Post by b-man1 »

Well, not really, but some may think so. As of a few months ago, I started a new position w/ Microsoft. I"m a PFE working with Exchange and Office 365. It's been quite a ride so far and I'm only just starting. The company is so much different from any other I've worked for (both culturally and professionally...in a good way so far).
Executioner
Life Member

Re: I joined the dark side...

Post by Executioner »

Well good for you. What location may I ask? I work in silicone valley, and there is a huge MS building I see off the 101 freeway.
wvjohn

Post by wvjohn »

Wow! PCA is so famous that MS is hiring out members! j/k

Best of luck with your new gig!
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

CONGRATS! So PFE = Premier Field Engineer? I assume that's tech support for enterprise business customers with a Premier support contract? Sounds like it would be fun if I was 10 years younger.

I assume you're probably not working out of one of MS's big campuses. From what I've read, sounds like PFE's are scattered around all over the world.
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

b-man1

Post by b-man1 »

Yes, Premier Field Engineer for premier support customers. I'm in the SE (Florida), but can end up almost anywhere in North America. Realistically, they'll keep me on the East Coast or remote to save costs. There is an office somewhat close, but I work from home and travel as needed. It's actually quite a bit different than what I originally expected of the position. When I was on the corporate side (as a premier customer), we only used MS support when something broke...call MS and if things are really bad, they would parachute someone in the fix things. The "fix broken stuff" side of it is one of the smallest portions of the group, from what I've learned.

Many PFEs are now primarily used for proactive tasks such as training...so giving workshops on various topics, health checks of systems, official training events, and then the usual break/fix when things explode. Many other PFEs are "dedicated" and assigned to work with a specific company that is willing to pay for it. We then become the one point of contact for whatever product is involved, etc. I'll be a mix, so still waiting on my first dedicated assignment.

I'm sure it will change as I settle in (and am not the "new guy" and can be more selective). We basically pick what we do and (to a point) control how much we will travel. The more dedicated customer work you can grab, the less you would end up traveling. Some guys on my team travel 50% or more...I'm hoping to keep it at 30% or less once settled in and established.
Err
Life Member

Post by Err »

Congratulations on the job.
reno
The artist formerly known as Renovation

Post by reno »

congrads
Losbot
Almighty Member