Thermostats, Locks and Lights: Digital Tools of Domestic Abuse

Kick Back and Relax in the Cheers! Forum. Thoughts on life or want advice or thoughts from other pca members. Or just plain "chill". Originator of da Babe threads.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Thermostats, Locks and Lights: Digital Tools of Domestic Abuse

Post by FlyingPenguin »

"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

reno
The artist formerly known as Renovation

Re: Thermostats, Locks and Lights: Digital Tools of Domestic Abuse

Post by reno »

it really was only a mater of time . next month we have a wi-fi enabled dishwasher being delivered to my florida home - last year i had to go into a woman's home and reprogram her Hunter ceiling fan .she thought she was losing it .the fan would turn on and off . the light's would do the same by itself to. turn out her fan and someone else in the condo complex happen to be on the same wavelength.
Err
Life Member

Post by Err »

Some connected device makers said they had not received reports of their products being used in abuse situations. The gadgets can be disabled through reset buttons and changing a home’s Wi-Fi password, but their makers said there was no catchall fix.
The problem with resetting a device is that many don't know how to do so. It the device is connected to some account, it could be near impossible to move it to a new owner.

It looks like we need a program that goes to the domestic abuse victim's houses and reset or replace the IOT items.
Pugsley

Post by Pugsley »

Gotta love people that use tech and have no ideal how it works even at a basic user level let alone at a technical level. Just like cars.
wvjohn

Post by wvjohn »

reno wrote:it really was only a mater of time . next month we have a wi-fi enabled dishwasher being delivered to my florida home - last year i had to go into a woman's home and reprogram her Hunter ceiling fan .she thought she was losing it .the fan would turn on and off . the light's would do the same by itself to. turn out her fan and someone else in the condo complex happen to be on the same wavelength.
that's crazy. I have a remote on my fan but it is IR - line of sight.
b-man1

Post by b-man1 »

...and I just added a 3rd smart thermostat to our house a few days ago (ecobee).