The billionaire behind the National Debt Clock has had it with Trump

Kick Back and Relax in the Cheers! Forum. Thoughts on life or want advice or thoughts from other pca members. Or just plain "chill". Originator of da Babe threads.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

The billionaire behind the National Debt Clock has had it with Trump

Post by FlyingPenguin »

"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Err
Life Member

Re: The billionaire behind the National Debt Clock has had it with Trump

Post by Err »

It's really dumb to cut taxes when the economy is booming. If the government really wanted to put money in the pockets of the American worker, we'd get health care costs under control.
Executioner
Life Member

Re: The billionaire behind the National Debt Clock has had it with Trump

Post by Executioner »

This is a ticking time bomb. As for the taxes, they were not enough for the average Joe, and anyone making over $500k don't need a tax cut. I agree about the health care cost.

For one, the president doesn’t have complete control over the budget. Though he makes proposals and signs it into law, the Constitution gives Congress control over spending.

The president is also stuck with policies created by previous administrations. For example, President Obama had less revenue as a result of President Bush’s tax cuts.
So it would be fairer to measure each president’s contribution to the deficit based on specific policy initiatives they have instigated.
There are some things that a president has no control over. President Bush faced the 9/11 terrorist attacks and Hurricane Katrina.
President Obama handled the Great Recession.
Their individual responses to catastrophic events cost public money.
A focus on the national deficit by year doesn’t give a complete picture. That’s because presidents can also borrow money from federal retirement funds.
The Social Security Trust Fund has had a surplus since 1987 because more people have put money in than taken it out.
The president can use these funds to reduce the budget deficit, but it still contributes to the debt.
Although President Bush had a budget deficit of $3.294 trillion, he added $5.849 trillion to the debt.
The difference is because he borrowed $2.5 trillion from Social Security funds.
https://www.debtconsolidation.com/us-debt-presidents/