Looks like NewEgg got hacked

Kick Back and Relax in the Cheers! Forum. Thoughts on life or want advice or thoughts from other pca members. Or just plain "chill". Originator of da Babe threads.
Executioner
Life Member

Looks like NewEgg got hacked

Post by Executioner »

https://www.volexity.com/blog/2018/09/1 ... in-newegg/

https://www.riskiq.com/blog/labs/magecart-newegg/

From Hard Forum:
Working together, Volexity and RiskIQ discovered a credit card skimming attack on Newegg's website. The security researchers claim that hackers injected Javascript code into Newegg's secure checkout page, which would collect form data and send it to "neweggstats.com". That domain was created on August 13th, and started collecting data on August 16th, but the offending Javascript code wasn't removed until September 18th. The researchers say that the same actors behind the British Airways and Feedify hacks were behind this attack. Needless to say, if you ordered anything on Newegg in August or September, you should call your bank.

I'm fine since I haven't ordered anything from NewEgg since 2015 or 2016.
Err
Life Member

Re: Looks like NewEgg got hacked

Post by Err »

I haven't bought anything except a game code a couple of years ago since they got bought out and tried to become a marketplace.
Pugsley

Post by Pugsley »

Would papal checkout be affected?
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Haven't bought anything from them since February (my new monitor) so I'm good.
Would papal checkout be affected?
I don't think so. Paypal purchases take you to the Paypal website via a secure page. It's POSSIBLE but unlikely.

If you use two-factor for Paypal then definitely no. If you aren't using two factor your should be. I'm still using the old "football" dongle with my cell phone as a backup.
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

reno
The artist formerly known as Renovation

Post by reno »

god I can't remember last time i bought from newegg so I know im good ~
Pugsley

Post by Pugsley »

Only reason I asked Is I just bought 5 4tb drives a month ago for my old file server. teh 5 1tb were full and the Thecus N5550 with 5 2tb drives was larger then what I could backup to the old server.
Shadow250
Golden Member

Post by Shadow250 »

what if you never installed java?
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

what if you never installed java?
This is nothing to do with Java. It's a javascript exploit. Confusing names, I agree, but they are completely different things. javascript is the a runtime language used in browsers. Just about EVERYTHING runs in javascript code on modern websites.
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.