A Drone-Flinging Cannon Proves UAVs Can Mangle Planes

Kick Back and Relax in the Cheers! Forum. Thoughts on life or want advice or thoughts from other pca members. Or just plain "chill". Originator of da Babe threads.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

A Drone-Flinging Cannon Proves UAVs Can Mangle Planes

Post by FlyingPenguin »

"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Pugsley

Re: A Drone-Flinging Cannon Proves UAVs Can Mangle Planes

Post by Pugsley »

Yeah.. no more then a bird can. And unless its a home built drone they won't fly near airports.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

You don't have to fly over an airport. I am VERY conscious of the fact when I fly on my property that there's a designated flight path directly over my house. Private planes fly over my house all the time. There's a fly-in community a few miles north and Leesburg airport is several miles south.

Planes are usually above my drone's operating altitude, but I've seen a few low ones - probably on a missed approach at the fly-in community. Also choppers use the same corridor and they are allowed to fly a lot lower. So I always limit my altitude to 500 feet and I keep my ears open for passing planes.

As for that test, it showed a drone actually can do MORE damage than a bird. Frankly I was suprised. I had always assumed a drone would shatter when it hit a plane - they seem so fragile.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Pugsley

Post by Pugsley »

Even though I am not a Pilot I know of vectors and what they are and how to read a map. Where I am there are several main approaches for O'hare and Midway. Not to mention Valpo which is our local airport. I have thought of getting a drone but I think it will end up like my RC plane where I used it a bunch then never used it again.
reno
The artist formerly known as Renovation

Post by reno »

I to am in a flight path . were band from installing any kind of tower , this has been the case for years . even back in the day of cb radios they come around and check to make sure your tv or cb radio antenna were with in the legal range if mounted on your house or chimney. some would alway try to test the limits and found out the hard way. even some 30 plus year ago when we first bought the house the old owner warned us and left a paper with the rule about the height requirement. there even a height requirement that hard to understand .your home can't be more then 22 feet mid point to the peak ..