Oregon Unconstitutionally Fined a Man $500 for Saying ‘I am an Engineer,’ Federal Judge Rules

Kick Back and Relax in the Cheers! Forum. Thoughts on life or want advice or thoughts from other pca members. Or just plain "chill". Originator of da Babe threads.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Oregon Unconstitutionally Fined a Man $500 for Saying ‘I am an Engineer,’ Federal Judge Rules

Post by FlyingPenguin »

"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

normalicy

Re: Oregon Unconstitutionally Fined a Man $500 for Saying ‘I am an Engineer,’ Federal Judge Rules

Post by normalicy »

It does seem that anyone could call themselves an engineer, so I get how this came about.
Losbot
Almighty Member

Re: Oregon Unconstitutionally Fined a Man $500 for Saying ‘I am an Engineer,’ Federal Judge Rules

Post by Losbot »

I've been to Oregon. Have no interest in going back, honestly. Very backward state and the people seemed very odd.
Pugsley

Post by Pugsley »

I wonder if there even exist a process to become a proper "engineer" according to the board.
GuardianAsher
Golden Member

Post by GuardianAsher »

Pugsley wrote:I wonder if there even exist a process to become a proper "engineer" according to the board.
Of course there is. Pay the state a bunch of money.
wvjohn

Post by wvjohn »

This is really and old trick to bar unwelcome opinions from people "outside the establishment" i.e. licensed in that state. Don't know if it is still the case, but in places like SC if you brought in a doctor "from somewhere else" to testify as an expert witness in a case , they would frequently be informed that they could be charged with practising medicine without a license if they chose to testify.