Cheap and fairly accurate digital humidity meters

Kick Back and Relax in the Cheers! Forum. Thoughts on life or want advice or thoughts from other pca members. Or just plain "chill". Originator of da Babe threads.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Cheap and fairly accurate digital humidity meters

Post by FlyingPenguin »

I needed a couple of of good humidity meters for my cigar humidors. The mechanical ones are crap. Based on reviews I ordered four of these for $16 (they come in a four pack), figuring I could find some other uses for them.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GNMKYCZ

It's encouraging that all four read exactly the same humidity (once they settle down - they do take a while to settle down to a humidity change) and are withing a half a degree of temperature of each other. They also matched up pretty close to a more expensive (and a lot larger) humidity meter I own.

They're small and unobtrusive. They run on 3 small watch batteries. My only grumble is that all four were already powered up on arrival and there's no telling how long they've been sitting on a shelf using up the batteries or how long they'll last.

I ended up using the extra two in my watch cases in which I keep a small bag of desiccant to keep the humidity low.

"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Executioner
Life Member

Re: Cheap and fairly accurate digital humidity meters

Post by Executioner »

I've calibrated several of these when I was doing tech work. The typical accuracy for humidity is +/- 5%, but when you start going below 10%, it' gets difficult to measure humidity with these type of sensors, and the accuracy gets quite large. We have a really good one that we bought from Vaisala that costs >$1000. We also purchased a $25,000 standard chamber from Thunder Scientific that has an accuracy for humidity of +/-0.5%. We use that chamber to calibrate these type of sensors.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Yeah I don't need them to be crazy accurate, just better than one of the mechanical dial ones that comes with the humidors - those things are worthless. I just want to know if the humidor is somewhere between 65 and 75%. Cigars get brittle below 65.

I don't really need them in my watch box but it's nice to know that it's staying a little dryer in there than the rest of the house, and since I had extras WTH. For the money they do the job.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

If I was still located in our Southern CA site, you could have sent me just one of them, and I would have checked it at 5 points between 20 and 90%RH. I would have then created a linear regression table taking into account the error in the sensor with the compensation of the linear regression. With the table, you would then know when it read a value, the table would show you the correct RH.