Watch This Tesla Model 3 Stop Itself To Avoid Horrific Crash

Kick Back and Relax in the Cheers! Forum. Thoughts on life or want advice or thoughts from other pca members. Or just plain "chill". Originator of da Babe threads.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Watch This Tesla Model 3 Stop Itself To Avoid Horrific Crash

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

Err
Life Member

Re: Watch This Tesla Model 3 Stop Itself To Avoid Horrific Crash

Post by Err »

That's amazing tech. I've been seriously considering a model 3 in a couple of years. I still drive 160 miles per day and I'm sick of buying gas and oil. The Model 3 LR AWD has a 310 mile range. I'd need to have an outlet installed in the garage but I found out you don't have to buy the Tesla Charger. The standard NEMA 14-50 will replenish the battery at 32 miles per hour using the supplied cable.

I still have questions that I'll eventually e-mail Tesla about once I'm ready to buy. Mainly, can the car take the discharge - charge cycle I'll be using. 5 days per week I'll be draining the battery by over half and recharging to full.
Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

Didn't the cars in the East have issues starting due to the cold weather? I'd consider the car, but I'm planning on retiring soon and I don't need a car payment. Also, what is the life of the batteries?
Err
Life Member

Post by Err »

The batteries are the deal breaker for me because I put 40K miles on a car per year:
Model 3 with Long-Range Battery - 8 years or 120,000 miles, whichever comes first, with minimum 70% retention of Battery capacity over the warranty period.
https://www.tesla.com/support/vehicle-warranty

70% of a Long Range battery would drag it down to 217 miles. That's unacceptable for my situation. If I had a car that lost 30% efficiency, I'd get rid of it if it couldn't be fixed. To be honest, I'd probably just get a Toyota Camry Hybrid if I absolutely needed to get another car. 45+ HWY isn't bad. While I'd still be buying gas and oil, I wouldn't be stressed out about the car leaving me stranded as it ages.
wvjohn

Post by wvjohn »

I'm reading that a lot of new cars will have the collision avoidance stuff. IMHO it should also make the cell phone in the idiot's hand explode.

Many of the foreign mfgrs are rolling out electric/hybrid models. I don't drive much anymore so gas etc isn't much of a concern. We've got 2 paid for Rav4s that have been very solid. 120k on mine 35k on the wife's.

I've always kinda looked at Tesla as a go-kart for the rich. I wouldn't want to be trying to find tesla parts a few years from now. They can't compete long term with the big boys.
reno
The artist formerly known as Renovation

Post by reno »

tesla be good for me now that im in florida if I had room in my garage to park it . when I lived in michigan there was no way with the low winter temps. but im waiting till I can afford one and they make a suv model.(being in a condo you can't have a charging station outside you must have it in your garage ) {this is the deal breaker for me as no room to park it in my garage }
Last edited by reno on Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

My wife's 2018 Navigator has collision avoidance. It actually kicked in the other day. She was already braking herself but the dash lit up red and announced "Collision Avoidance" and it started braking with her.
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

reno
The artist formerly known as Renovation

Post by reno »

FlyingPenguin wrote:My wife's 2018 Navigator has collision avoidance. It actually kicked in the other day. She was already braking herself but the dash lit up red and announced "Collision Avoidance" and it started braking with her.
are 2018 GMC Terrain equip with it to. I like it the driver seat also vibrate if you try turning into a lane . some one in your blind spot or your to close to a car in front of you. it also works backing up and there something there you don't see in the rear view camera , mirror. it was a add on package well worth the cost. im sure it be a mandated package soon on all cars . it can be set to vibrate or sound a alarm. the first time the seat vibrated it was weird do. so glad we have it .also the door side mirror's have a arrow that lights .when someone to close in the lane next to you. they let you know it's unsafe to change lane .
Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

My 2017 Jag XE took over once when some jackass cut me off then he had to brake because the one that was now in front of him braked. As I pressed the brake pedal, I felt the car take over and the car sensed it wasn't enough so it too over. I felt the pedal move away from my foot. Car stopped inches away from the jackass in front of me. I was relieved and impressed. My 2018 Audi SQ5 also has that feature and I'm not in a hurry to test it for real. lol
Pugsley

Post by Pugsley »

Its great and all.. but the way I look at it is if that system has to take over then I have failed as a driver.