Fukishima robot makes first contact with melted reactor core

Kick Back and Relax in the Cheers! Forum. Thoughts on life or want advice or thoughts from other pca members. Or just plain "chill". Originator of da Babe threads.
wvjohn

Fukishima robot makes first contact with melted reactor core

Post by wvjohn »

https://arstechnica.com/science/2019/02 ... hima-fuel/

there's a video here as well, and some interesting tech stuff iin the comments about designing circuits that can handle radiation.
Pugsley

Re: Fukishima robot makes first contact with melted reactor core

Post by Pugsley »

Yeah most people are not aware how electronics act around heavy radiation. There are some videos of go pros going through radioactive cleaning processes and they just fuzz out if not stop recording all together.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

We learned a lot from Chernobyl. For several years everything they sent inside the reactor died within minutes. All the fancy robots just wouldn't last but a few minutes before they died. In the end the most reliable thing they used for a long time was cobbled together from a toy tank with a hard wired controller and a hardened video camera mounted on top with a cable running back.

This was an old style vidicon camera because off-the-shelf CMOS cameras are easily damaged by radiation. Over the ensuing years they found ways of making CMOS cameras that can stand radiation.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

Crazy!