Furniture sliding, parts of ceiling fall off on Viking Sky cruise ship

Kick Back and Relax in the Cheers! Forum. Thoughts on life or want advice or thoughts from other pca members. Or just plain "chill". Originator of da Babe threads.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Furniture sliding, parts of ceiling fall off on Viking Sky cruise ship

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Seems to me we've seen a lot of cruise ships completely lose power in the last couple of years. You would think there would be more redundancy.

I do love someone calling out "No not the Steinway!” At least someone was trying to have a sense of humor.

"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

b-man1

Re: Furniture sliding, parts of ceiling fall off on Viking Sky cruise ship

Post by b-man1 »

My wife and I were on a cruise during Irma and also had engine issues. They were in "limp mode" on one of the engines, so they eased off the other to avoid over-taxing it and ending up with both failing. You're right, you'd think they would design them so that one engine is enough and the second just makes it more efficient/redundant. Well, I guess one is enough, but they are then forced to go realllllly slow.
wvjohn

Post by wvjohn »

when I first saw the clip my thought is why isn't the furniture secured?? Cruise ships are horrible sailors w/o full power and thrusters.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

I read in some article somewhere that a crew member did sat that the piano did flip over.

Man, I do NOT want to be anywhere near a grand piano when the floor is tilting 40 degrees. I've moved those things when I was a stage hand.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "