amazons cutting shipping costs again

Kick Back and Relax in the Cheers! Forum. Thoughts on life or want advice or thoughts from other pca members. Or just plain "chill". Originator of da Babe threads.
reno
The artist formerly known as Renovation

amazons cutting shipping costs again

Post by reno »

I received 2 packages today and both were in brown padded envelopes . not in carton like i'm use to getting when i order hardware or boxed carton in . one item A foam sprayer for my power washer Carton in envelope was crushed but item made it ok . the second was a bathroom vent fan replacement motor .this one the carton inside the envelope arrived ok.
then I order a roll of special double sided tape yesterday .guess what im a prime member and today a get a email saying expect the order anytime from Sept.3 and sept 24Th. i bought it at a great price and lucky its not a item im in a need for right at the moment .but why offer prime on a item you can't deliver in a reasonable time frame ?
Losbot
Almighty Member

Re: amazons cutting shipping costs again

Post by Losbot »

They lost UPS and now FedEx dumped them for the ground service. Amazon has been trying to do a lot of the shipping themselves but are quickly realizing it's not that simple. That's why you let logistics experts handle it. I send probably 90% of my stuff to my office, so I know it won't sit on the porch. Never had problems until Amazon started delivering themselves. First they started arriving later in the day. Then I needed something quickly and I even paid the extra $4 for 1 day, to arrive on a THU. Finally, around 5pm I asked about the delivery and I was told it could arrive by 8pm.

So I mentioned that the address was a business address, so why would they assume there would be someone here past 6pm. Long story short, about an hour later, a supervisor was apologizing and explain the whole shipping issues they've been having and for example, my office address was in their system as a residential address. They kept asking me if I was certain. LMAO

I had to get them all the details regarding the building, the hours, etc so they could update their DB and assured me that now they had that info, it should not happen again, as business addresses get priority. WOW! SMH
psypher
Golden Member

Post by psypher »

Losbot wrote:I had to get them all the details regarding the building, the hours, etc so they could update their DB and assured me that now they had that info, it should not happen again, as business addresses get priority. WOW! SMH
That's complete bullshit. I can't believe a company as large as Amazon wouldn't have the USPS database integrated to validate addresses, of which one of the details the USPS provides is whether an address is residential or business. I've done it for far smaller companies.
Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

I can only tell you what I was told. The supervisor I spoke to said the address was in their system as residential.
I did not get my package that THU anyway, as their truck experienced some "malfunction" so it would arrive the following day. I told them they need to plan better for that sort of crap and have backup trucks they can dispatch. It was a shit-show, to say the least.

Stuff has been arriving earlier though, in all fairness since bitching them out.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Pretty reliable delivery times here. Sometimes I get a late notification, but it's usually not Prime.

Deliveries have primarily been UPS or UPS to USPS for the last mile. It's only in the last few months that I've actually started seeing Amazon delivery vehicles and that's when they also started delivering on Sundays.

Now Sunday does me no good and they re-deliver on Monday because I deliver to my business address, which is a UPS Store box. You would THINK that they would know that's a business closed on Sundays, and not even try delivering on a Sunday, but they apparently do anyway (or else the driver just marks it undeliverable and never even tries). I just get an email saying no one was there and they will try again.

So yeah, they may have some teething problems.

BTW: Amazon still has a major contract with UPS. They haven't been using Fedex much and the main reason Fedex cancelled the contract (according to Bloomberg Business News) is because Fedex has a BIG contract with Walmart, which is rapidly becoming the number 2 online mailorder company, and it's in Fedex's interest to make Walmart an exclusive partner.

In business news circles and for the stock market, the Fedex contract cancellation is not a big deal. They actually announced this was coming a while ago. Amazon was only representing around $900 million in annual income for Fedex, while they made nearly $18 BILLION total last year. This is no real loss, and they make Walmart happy. Fedex stock did take a 3% hit afterwards, but it's already mostly rebounded.

Yeah, I follow stocks nowadays since most of my income comes from stock & mutual fund investments. Bloomberg Business news is on in the car a lot and they had a lot of coverage on the Fedex thing that day.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Heh. Just got another Sunday delivery email. It does say it was a USPS delivery, not an Amazon truck.

It'll just be delivered tomorrow, but I have to wonder if USPS is actually bothering to put it on the truck. They knnow darn well that's a UPS store and it's closed today.
Hi Robert,

USPS wasn't able to enter your building to deliver your package.

Please contact USPS with instructions to help them enter:
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

normalicy

Post by normalicy »

When they first started using their own delivery service, we had several packages with attempted delivery after our business closed. We put a note in the shipping and have since had pretty reliable deliveries. Their packaging on the other hand has been changing a lot. They did do a folded piece of cardboard a few times and the same thing got lost twice. Just slipped right out of the envelope. I don't know how they thought it would stay in due to the 1" opening on the corners and it being a socket extension that was only 3/4" in diameter.
reno
The artist formerly known as Renovation

Post by reno »

on a side note - you should see the amazon people looks on there face when they come to my condo . im in what looks like a split ranch with a single 2 car garage with a service door in the court yard.my neighbor and I each use it there's only one service door we share and a double wide garage door . we both keep are garbage cans on the side outside. there are address numbers on both sides of the garage door . above each of are entry doors in the court yard. ups ,fed x and are postal people have no problems they know to bring the packages into the court yard . no to be said for amazon drivers - we had there stuff in the court yard - left in front of the garage roll up door . even left on top of the trash cans on the side of the building. just glad i have my alexa so it informs me to look around my building to find my packages .kind of like a easter egg hunt but bigger eggs :)
Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

reno wrote:.kind of like a easter egg hunt but bigger eggs :)
That's got to get annoying.
Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

We've been getting deliveries any day of the week. They are driving personal cars. I don't see Amazon on the cars, but they do deliver packages.