Can Masks Protect People from The Coronavirus?

Kick Back and Relax in the Cheers! Forum. Thoughts on life or want advice or thoughts from other pca members. Or just plain "chill". Originator of da Babe threads.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Can Masks Protect People from The Coronavirus?

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Looks like these guys did some good testing. Surprising that surgical masks work as well as they do.

https://smartairfilters.com/en/blog/cor ... ical-mask/
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Re: Can Masks Protect People from The Coronavirus?

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Some more good info. Best way to disinfect a mask for reuse is to just leave it out to dry.

What’s a Reliable Way to Disinfect Masks from Viruses Without Harming Effectiveness?
https://smartairfilters.com/en/blog/dis ... rus/?rel=1
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

darcy

Post by darcy »

Can't get a hold of any decent masks, just the cheap ones,, and that's what hubby wears when he absolutely needs to go out and walk to market to buy groceries, which he dreads, because of his medical conditions/age. People here have to walk everywhere.
If anything, they're just a reminder to not touch your face.
Briquette, 1992 - 2008 ~ < Forever In Our Hearts >

Lily, 1995 - 2009 ~ < Forever In Our Hearts >

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched.
They must be felt with the heart. ~ Helen Keller.
Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

I've had a box of masks for some time. They're 3M N95 model 8210. I felt goofy looking when I put it on to go to the grocery store but when I got there, I was in good company, with lots of other people wearing masks and gloves as well.
------------------------------------------

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

I had four N95 masks in a box in the shed. I use them for mowing the lawn because I'm allergic to mown grass.

I'm the only one that goes out on errands, so yeah I wear one when I go out, and always sanitize when I get back in the car. Can't afford to bring anything home.

DARCY: I can spare one. PM me your mailing address. As noted above, don't wash it or spray it with sanitizer between use. Just let it sit out in a dry place.

darcy

Post by darcy »

Ever so grateful, FP, thank you.
PM sent.
Briquette, 1992 - 2008 ~ < Forever In Our Hearts >

Lily, 1995 - 2009 ~ < Forever In Our Hearts >

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched.
They must be felt with the heart. ~ Helen Keller.
Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

Are there any places to order these 3M masks? I can't find any at the big retailers.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Almost impossible now since all the suppliers are supposed to be diverting them to hospitals, unless you have a buddy who's a painter.

Around here, you can still get the thinner surgical masks from doctors and nurses. My Dad's home nurse gave my Dad one. Some of the doctor's offices and the blood lab we've been to the past two weeks for my Dad had them available also. If I can grab a couple I'll let you know. Not as good as an N95, but pretty damn good according to the test in that article I posted above.

If you can sew, it's pretty easy to make a surgical-type face mask at home. You probably have everything you need lying around or can be cannibalized from something. Jo-Anne Fabrics has tutorials here:
https://www.joann.com/make-to-give-response/

While an N95 is the ideal mask, anything is better than nothing, and a cotton mask that covers the entire nose and face seems to work reasonably well. It's not like you're working in a hospital ward. You're not going to be coughed on by dozens of infected patients - you just want a barrier between you and the one a-hole you might bump into at the super market who has a cough and is violating your personal space.

This article backs me up:
Experts say face masks can help slow COVID-19, despite previous claims
https://nypost.com/2020/03/28/experts-s ... us-claims/

I think the early reports that masks don't help was more to discourage people from hoarding N95 masks. There's no doubt they help, or doctors and nurses wouldn't be using them. I do agree the general public doesn't need as high a quality mask as an ER nurse.

Bandanas don't work because they're open on the bottom. You need to snugly cover your mouth and nose.

In my opinion, I would also recommend glasses if you're out in public, even if you don't need them to see. You don't want someone coughing or sneezing the virus into your eyes. I wear glasses so no worries here, and I've been using the wrap around sunglasses when I go to the store or my mail box.

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Oh, another safety tip I picked up from somewhere recently:

When you remove your mask ASSUME it has virus particles on it. As such, you don't want to touch the cloth part. Remove it and hold it by the elastic straps. Like the article above recommends, and put it somewhere to dry out. My suggestion: Wash your hands and face afterwards.

My opinion only, but I'm guessing direct sunlight on a windows sill would be a bonus place to let it dry out since UV degrades viruses.

I leave mine in the car in the cup holder. Next time I go out, it's ready to be used.

Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

Interesting. What about placing it in an oven at low temp, say 120 Deg F? As far as the masks, I should have bought some several months ago. We have a wood shop, and my father-in-law who is 86, forgets to use one and ends up coughing after a few hours. I had no idea they were reusable. Since they were so cheap, after a few uses we would just throw them out.
psypher
Golden Member

Post by psypher »

Executioner wrote:Interesting. What about placing it in an oven at low temp, say 120 Deg F? As far as the masks, I should have bought some several months ago. We have a wood shop, and my father-in-law who is 86, forgets to use one and ends up coughing after a few hours. I had no idea they were reusable. Since they were so cheap, after a few uses we would just throw them out.
Most oven settings don't go that low. Mine is the first one I've seen go that low due to it having a bread proofing feature.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Yeah, I once tried drying some silica gel packets in an oven, and it wasn't possible to get the temperature low enough to keep them from burning the cloth wrapper.

I understand some other organization has approved a vaporized hydrogen peroxide sterilizer that's used in hospitals, to disinfect masks between patients, but that's a specialized machine.

Really, just let it sit in a dry place for 12 hours and there's little likelihood any virus would survive.

Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

I can spare 2. I've given a couple of them away to friends that I know are stuck having to work, like a pharmacist friend that definitely needs one with all the sick people around.

PM me with an address if one of you needs one and I'll get it out to ya.
------------------------------------------

normalicy

Post by normalicy »

A good read to help get through all the theories.