Coronavirus pandemic signals need for COBOL computer programmers

Kick Back and Relax in the Cheers! Forum. Thoughts on life or want advice or thoughts from other pca members. Or just plain "chill". Originator of da Babe threads.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Coronavirus pandemic signals need for COBOL computer programmers

Post by FlyingPenguin »

"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Pugsley

Re: Coronavirus pandemic signals need for COBOL computer programmers

Post by Pugsley »

Wow... both can and can't believe a system like that is still running on cobol. I knew a guy that made an entire system that ran cobol for an factory that ran CNC machines and pagers and phones and a home made storage system. It all worked great until hardware started failing. They moved everything to a new plant several years ago and part of that move they cut out as much of the old system as they could. I think only non essential stuff runs off the cobol system now.

The storage system worked like this and had most the features but was ugly looking and just framework (not skinned). But considering it was built in house back in the 70s it was amazing.
Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

Does Cobol have an issue with Y2K dating? I'm surprised it's still being used.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Cobol is used in the backbone mainframes of most financial institutions. Ever go to a bank and see that although they're running Windows, they're actually working in a window that looks like DOS? That's a terminal emulator connected to a mainframe running COBOL.

Most of your online banking and stock trading is run on COBOL mainframes behind the scenes, with modern web servers in front of it just acting as an interface.

It's an excellent language for dealing with financial calculations and large reliable databases, and it's still supported and updated by mainframe manufacturers. It's too deeply embedded in large corporations to go away anytime soon.

But good COBOL programmers are very much in demand because it's hasn't been taught much until recently, and now that old COBOL programmers are retiring there's a big demand.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "