I'm now officially retired

Kick Back and Relax in the Cheers! Forum. Thoughts on life or want advice or thoughts from other pca members. Or just plain "chill". Originator of da Babe threads.
Executioner
Life Member

I'm now officially retired

Post by Executioner »

Tomorrow will officially by my last day at work. I will drive 115 miles to the plant in Santa Clara CA and drop off my equipment and pick up my personal items.

I started with this company in Southern CA back in 1986 when it was ACS, then Guidant, then finally Abbott. I worked specifically in the calibration department as a technician performing calibrations on a variety of different equipment. Some of it was off the shelf, while others were custom. I was then promoted several times to senior technician, supervisor, group leader where I managed 25 folks, and then finally SME (subject matter expert) for the 5 different sites we have in the world.

My decision to retire is based on several factors including turning 65 this May, and I was just getting tired of all the BS at work, so I decided to make the jump to retirement. I already have my Medicare Card so I'm also officially an old fart.

I've already been contacted by a person who wants me to do some consulting for a company with regards to Metrology (i.e. the science of measurement). I have over 45 years experience in the field of calibration and Metrology, but I may elect to lay low for a few months.

Best part of this starting tomorrow - no more alarm clock.
Losbot
Almighty Member

Re: I'm now officially retired

Post by Losbot »

CONGRATULATIONS!!! Sounds well deserved. Enjoy your retirement!!!
------------------------------------------

reno
The artist formerly known as Renovation

Post by reno »

CONGRATULATIONS- now enjoy it !!!!!!!!!!!! Im working more now then I was before I officially retired and sign up for SS. Word got out of my past work history and now phone rings 2 or more times a day asking for my help .good part its all cash .bad part is I now own more equipment & tools then when I had a real company and full time employees ! today I have two part time helpers and were all work 32 hours a week or more.
normalicy

Post by normalicy »

Congrats, enjoy yourself. Both fortunately & unfortunately I'm a long way from that still.
Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

Thanks fellas. I finished turning in my equipment today after driving to Santa Clara. At least the freeways weren't bad. Drove between 70-80 most of the way there and back.
Some of the guys there were telling me I should have stayed on, but I have a felling that there is going to be a layoff coming. Sales are down ~30% for our division, and I know I would be a target for being laid off due to my length of service (33 years). Most there are concerned with me leaving since the guy taking over, well, lets say he's not that technical savvy with regards to metrology. My director has already put in a request to possibly hire me back as a contractor if needed.
Err
Life Member

Post by Err »

Congratulations!
darcy

Post by darcy »

Congrats, Exec! ,,, you've earned it! :)
Briquette, 1992 - 2008 ~ < Forever In Our Hearts >

Lily, 1995 - 2009 ~ < Forever In Our Hearts >

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched.
They must be felt with the heart. ~ Helen Keller.
psypher
Golden Member

Post by psypher »

Congrats!
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Congrats!
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.