I Got a New House

Kick Back and Relax in the Cheers! Forum. Thoughts on life or want advice or thoughts from other pca members. Or just plain "chill". Originator of da Babe threads.
normalicy

I Got a New House

Post by normalicy »

I'm feeling way out of my element all of the sudden. We've been in the same home since 2003. The home itself seems to be perfect, but the new debt and having to move are going to be an adventure.
Executioner
Life Member

Re: I Got a New House

Post by Executioner »

Where did you move to? Was the new house a lot more expensive? It's typical if you have been in a house for a while. My last house I sold for $260k which included a large swimming pool and RV access, and the wife and I moved up north to Woodland, CA. The house here was 2x what I paid for the one in 2003. Finally got it down to a 3.75% mortgage rate which helped. Our payment is $2150/month, but the property tax - $9000/year. Since I'm now retired, it will be interesting to see how this pans out. I have several sources of income so it should be okay.
reno
The artist formerly known as Renovation

Post by reno »

congrats - we sold are home in michigan 2 years ago now . seems like only a year ago now. we own and lived in it for 32 years, from 1986 till 2018 in 2015 we bought this place in florida. (did 2 or 3 Re-mortgages on it over those years)(alway only did 15 year mortgages) got it payed off and sold it it was scary selling the old house because it was the only home we owned. rented before that from the day we were married. now my daughter bought 2 house's in under 8 years . anyway its always scarry buy a new house ,car or boat when you get the increased payments from the last one you owned. you wonder the great (what if ). believe me you'll be just fine . after its all said and done you'll say we should of done this sooner.
normalicy

Post by normalicy »

Executioner wrote:Where did you move to? Was the new house a lot more expensive? It's typical if you have been in a house for a while. My last house I sold for $260k which included a large swimming pool and RV access, and the wife and I moved up north to Woodland, CA. The house here was 2x what I paid for the one in 2003. Finally got it down to a 3.75% mortgage rate which helped. Our payment is $2150/month, but the property tax - $9000/year. Since I'm now retired, it will be interesting to see how this pans out. I have several sources of income so it should be okay.
Same area actually (Florissant, MO). But it is almost 3x what my current home originally cost. I haven't tried to sell it yet, so we'll see what it's worth. Interest rate looks like it'll be 3.15 to 3.25%, so that's awesome.

Oh and here's a pic. My main objective was to get a bit of land.

Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

LOL - a bit? how many acres? Looks really nice. I like the long driveway.
normalicy

Post by normalicy »

OK, for our area, it's a hunk of land. Thanks. I like the long driveway too. I'm planning on expanding on that to a pole barn hopefully if the HOA allows.
darcy

Post by darcy »

Beautiful! Congratulations! :) :)
Briquette, 1992 - 2008 ~ < Forever In Our Hearts >

Lily, 1995 - 2009 ~ < Forever In Our Hearts >

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched.
They must be felt with the heart. ~ Helen Keller.
reno
The artist formerly known as Renovation

Post by reno »

looks lovely and modern. like the land space .how much is the HOA fees. i see a boat in the drive. but not any out buildings like a shed on the property . see if the realtor can get you a copy of the HOA regulations .
some HOA can be easy to live in . now and then there that one HOA that rules were enacted by a group of moran's. and the rule's are worst then you can imagine.
Pugsley

Post by Pugsley »

If you have any sump pumps give em a look or just plain replace them with new ones... Or do like I did and get a smart power strip and plug them in with a light on the switched outlets to let you know when and how they run. after awhile you should be able to learn their patterns with rain and how often then run. I had my light save me 2 times in the last 5 years.

One time I noticed the pump running when it was dry out and went under the house and found I had a busted pipe from the well to the bladder. Another Time (last week) I noticed it not running when it should have. Went under the house and found that the strip had tripped due to the second pump kicking on and killing both. We had tons of rain and the first pump didn't keep up so the water in the pit rose and triggered the second pump tripping out the smart strip. So now I have the second pump bypassing the smart strip so that it will not trip if we ever get that much rain again.
normalicy

Post by normalicy »

I was very specific about where I purchased my home. I verified that the surrounding homes had outbuildings. In fact, it's what took me so long to find a home in the first place (9 months total). The HOA has a provision for added garage space. We'll see if they are open to my kind of garage space. But at the minimum, I can have an added gaage.

Pugsley, thanks for the advice. I'll look into it. My current home has a sump that has had regular use, so I appreciate having one that is good.