Smith Contractor 1 Gallon Weed Sprayer mini-review

Kick Back and Relax in the Cheers! Forum. Thoughts on life or want advice or thoughts from other pca members. Or just plain "chill". Originator of da Babe threads.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Smith Contractor 1 Gallon Weed Sprayer mini-review

Post by FlyingPenguin »

I have to weed spray a lot because we have pebble beds and pavers around the house. I despise the cheap plastic weed sprayer tanks you get at Home Depot. I've never had one last very long before it stops pumping, or a seal fails, or the plastic cracks or the wand start leaking.

For several years I owned a Hudson commercial stainless steel sprayer that worked great, although it was heavy. That lasted me ten years until a brass insert finally cracked and I had no easy way of repairing or replacing it. Much to my dismay, the Hudson is no longer sold.

I scoured through reviews and found this commercial plastic sprayer on Amazon. It has a 71% rating out of 1300+ reviews. I looked into the manufacture's literature on it, and read up about it on some forums, and it seemed to be a really well built unit that lasts.

I ordered the one gallon because I never mix up more than that much Roundup at one time, and to keep from gumming it up I always use all of it up, and then rinse it with water and spray some clean water through it before storing it. I have a big 15 gallon sprayer I use on the ranch's fence, but this one is just for around the house.

I have to say I was really surprised at the build quality. It's not cheaply made. The pump itself has very good seals. Unlike the cheap ones it just takes a few strokes to pump it up because it's well sealed. The spray wand is quality, and one of the tips is a metal adjustable. I like that it has a pressure relief valve to prevent you from over pressurizing it, and you can use it as an air purge instead of cracking the top open and (usually) getting weed spray shot in your face as with cheaper designs.

Unlike cheap sprayers it has a filter.

I've only been using it a month but it sure looks like it'll last a while.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01NBONO2Q

"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

normalicy

Re: Smith Contractor 1 Gallon Weed Sprayer mini-review

Post by normalicy »

We have a number of the two gallon versions of this at my work. They do well. Hoses are prone to holes though.
reno
The artist formerly known as Renovation

Post by reno »

I own a smith 2 gallon sprayer for last 3 years and its still going strong .got it for free to do a review on . keep keep a no bleach chemical in it for cleaning my aluminum lanai .the chemical called 30 SECONDS Outdoor Cleaner link- https://www.homedepot.com/p/30-Seconds- ... /202591276. it will turn the brass tip of the sprayer green is my biggest problem .
the unit still works like a charm .its a older model that didn't have the drip tray like your one gallon model in Fp photo .
Last edited by reno on Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

I miss the metal ones that would last 10+ years. The one I got at Home Depot 2 years ago is already having issues.