COMMODORE HISTORY PART 1: THE COMMODORE PET

Kick Back and Relax in the Cheers! Forum. Thoughts on life or want advice or thoughts from other pca members. Or just plain "chill". Originator of da Babe threads.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

COMMODORE HISTORY PART 1: THE COMMODORE PET

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Ah the memories. My very first computer. And yes, mine had that awful 'chicklet' keyboard until I bought a 3rd party external keyboard for it. I loved that PC. I wrote a few games for it (back then there were monthly game writing completions in computer magazines, and the winners would be sold and you could make a few bucks). I spent more time Hacking games written by other people and adding features I felt were missing. There was even an early 'networked' tank game written by a friend of mine where two PETs were connected together for head to head multiplayer. Four friends of mine and I spend a lot of nights playing that game while drinking a LOT of beer and smoking a LOT of pot. Good times.

I actually wrote an inventory database from scratch on this thing in 1980, for the audio visual company I worked for at the time. Rental inventory was always in flux because equipment was shipped between cities as needed for large conventions. While technically each office owned it's own equipment, that gear could be scattered all over the country. This necessitated annual inventory counts that were tedious major pains in the ass. Normally it was done on paper with large ledgers. Everything had to be counted: From large items like projectors and speakers, to small items like lenses and power cords. No one looked forward to this, especially if it happened during a busy month.

I put my own trusty PET on a small rolling cart with a 400 foot extension cord, and we rolled it around the warehouse. My colleagues would call out serial numbers, descriptions, and originating cities. I would do the data entry. Everything was saved on cassette data tapes. I brought in my own dot matrix printer to print out all the results and then manually wrote it into the ledgers.

It made a bit of a stir because it allowed my Miami office to complete it's inventory count in record time. However, the Dallas home office thought we had fabricated our results and didn't believe we had used a personal computer. They sent a bunch of bean counters to our office for a week to look over my system, and eventually acknowledged that we had an accurate inventory. The home office, however, told us that in the future we had to do it the old fashioned way. They didn't see any possibility of personal computers ever being used in an office. LOL!

I did eventually buy the external dual 5-1/4 floppy drive in the picture below, which actually cost as much as the $800 computer itself, but it sure made life easier.

http://www.the8bitguy.com/4839/commodor ... odore-pet/

Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

normalicy

Re: COMMODORE HISTORY PART 1: THE COMMODORE PET

Post by normalicy »

I love the story.