Weird issue with iron filter

Kick Back and Relax in the Cheers! Forum. Thoughts on life or want advice or thoughts from other pca members. Or just plain "chill". Originator of da Babe threads.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Weird issue with iron filter

Post by FlyingPenguin »

I have an iron filter and a water softener in my new house (we have well water). Looks like the iron filter was never assembled properly. They damaged the PVC pipe inside the tank when they installed it, and it's apparently been dumping the media out the backwash drain ever since.

Only noticed this because the media has started leaking into the water system, and clogged up all the aerators in my faucets recently.

So I've gotten that fixed, and have been spending the week flushing the lines to get all these carbon granules out of the pipes and fixtures.

Just back flushed the washing machine hoses today (thankfully the hoses have filter screens so it doesn't look like anything got into the washer itself).

Now I've gotta call the plumbing company to come and backflush the on demand hot water heaters. I suspect the narrow channels in those things are full of this stuff. They were due to be backflushed around now anyway. The propane on demand heaters can scale up easy so I back flush them every year.

For those who are curious, iron filters look just like water softeners. They use the same tank and control head, but are rigged and programmed differently. It does work. We have a fair amount of iron in our well water which used to cause problems at the old house.

"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

reno
The artist formerly known as Renovation

Re: Weird issue with iron filter

Post by reno »

yes it is a weird problem FP. in michigan I was lucky .we were on a well but only needed a iron remover. we bought a McCleans unit had it for 20 plus years did have it serviced once .guy found the bypass valve was broke .said it could of been from day one.