Every Deleted Parler Post, Many With Users' Location Data, Has Been Archived

Kick Back and Relax in the Cheers! Forum. Thoughts on life or want advice or thoughts from other pca members. Or just plain "chill". Originator of da Babe threads.
Err
Life Member

Every Deleted Parler Post, Many With Users' Location Data, Has Been Archived

Post by Err »

https://gizmodo.com/every-deleted-parle ... 1846032466

Amazon kicked Parler off their cloud yesterday but not before the posts got archived. Many of the videos contain user data and GPS coordinates. This should be a lesson to never stream your crimes. Also, strip your geo data from pics and videos before uploading them to social media.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Re: Every Deleted Parler Post, Many With Users' Location Data, Has Been Archived

Post by FlyingPenguin »

This is why I disagree with people who claim that the Capitol attach was massively 'organized'. While I think it's likely there were some organized groups in the crowd with some kind of plan (and if they had any brains at all, they were using encrypted apps like Signal), the vast majority were f'ing idiots who were along for the ride, live streaming their stupidity, and posting selfies on Facebook, and in the process incriminating themselves. Anyone who thinks Parler will fight a court order for data is dreaming. Free speech does not protect you from posting threats or posting videos of you committing a crime.

That's also why I'd like to see Parler come back. Please. Let the nut jobs all hang out on Parler or on a Discord and continue incriminating themselves in the future. The stupid ones never learn.
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

Err
Life Member

Re: Every Deleted Parler Post, Many With Users' Location Data, Has Been Archived

Post by Err »

I've been keep up on the arrests and firings due to the morons posting their crimes online. I'm really glad these folks weren't organized. If they were, I think we'd have several dead congress and senate members.

As an aside, I belong to the neighborhood Facebook group. I rarely post but will answer legit questions. However, there are still moron that post things like pictures of their guns and where they keep them think this is a deterrent to criminals. It's not. Now they know where one of your most valued possessions are. My parents always told me when I was growing up that if anyone ask if we have guns, the answer is NO. I told my daughter the same.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Parler sues Amazon, asks court to reinstate platform

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Parler sues Amazon, asks court to reinstate platform
https://thehill.com/policy/technology/5 ... e-platform\

Not sure Parler has any standing. Amazon S3 is essentially a hosting service, and like any host they can deny service for violations of their rules.

I don't totally agree with them pulling the plug on Parler. I would have preferred they gave them longer to comply with removing dangerous/illegal posts, and maybe throttle them until they got their act together. But in the end, it is their servers, and they aren't the only hosting company on the planet.

I'm hearing section 230 ranting again. People don't understand what 230 does. If anything, if Amazon becomes LEGALLY LIABLE for anything posted on sites their servers are hosting, they'll only get even more restrictive.
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

psypher
Golden Member

Post by psypher »

FlyingPenguin wrote:This is why I disagree with people who claim that the Capitol attach was massively 'organized'.
You don't think there was some level of coordination? For something like this you don't need massive coordination, just enough at the right levels. Especially when you know who you are dealing with. Face it, most of those people are ignorant idiots. It didn't take much to convince them, hell Trump has close to $500 million reasons as proof at how stupid people are. Was it coincidence that requests to have the national guard in place were denied? Maybe. It's quite possible that it was purely dictated by racism. BLM protests? Ok, they are mostly black, get the National Guard out there. Trump Supporters? Nah, they are white, they aren't going to burn anything down or storm the Capitol...
Err
Life Member

Post by Err »

Parler won't be able to show antitrust against Amazon. They may have a slight breech on contract claim if there is language that Amazon must give the platform so much time to remove content that violates TOS. I doubt that exists and Amazon can fall back on its code of conduct.

Like you FP, Amazon should've let them have a bit more rope to hang themselves. I have no doubt Twitter will be purging more users in the coming weeks. I think they may be worried about what may occur on the 20th as there is supposed to me another march.

I'm kind of amazed that none of the Parler supporter haven't started their own servers. They probably have the funds or could start a GoFundMe and have the money quickly.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

They may find it hard to find a new host, and actually setting up their own server boxes in a co-lo would be expensive. Scalability requires a lot of servers, backups, redundancy. There's also the concern of DDOS attacks. That's why everyone uses AWS or Azure, etc.

Even a co-lo may not want anything to do with them. While they wouldn't be hosting, they'd be providing bandwidth, and may not want to be associated with them.

If they don't mind going outside the US, I would think that ultimately they could find a place to park it, but a lot depends on how much of their code is specific to their AWS solution. They may not have the brain power around to port over to a different back end. A lot of these up and coming social networking sites, with no real income, hire a few part time hot shots to setup the backend, which is the hard part, and then they maintain the app themselves. Since PadreSJ found lots of misconfigured S3 buckets leaking data, it's pretty certain these guys don't have much of a brain trust in house.

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Hmmm. Looks like they got even more than that previous article indicates. Because of the poorly configured security on the AWS buckets, looks like they got a LOT more. Including photos of ID uploaded by verified users.

70TB of Parler users’ messages, videos, and posts leaked by security researchers
https://cybernews.com/news/70tb-of-parl ... searchers/

Pugsley

Post by Pugsley »

This is why you just stick to encrypted HAM.