vinyl replacement windows double pane glass

Kick Back and Relax in the Cheers! Forum. Thoughts on life or want advice or thoughts from other pca members. Or just plain "chill". Originator of da Babe threads.
reno
The artist formerly known as Renovation

vinyl replacement windows double pane glass

Post by reno »

my wife cousin just order new replacement vinyl windows for his home in Michigan. the company gave him a estimated date to install them in his home. this is just may 6 th and there telling him October before they be ready and installed .this is a window company that makes them and installs . there blaming it on the pandemic . I will say when we use to install vinyl or wood clad windows year back 4 to 6 weeks was the norm . even the vinyl windows we had installed in are condo 2 years ago it only took 6 to 8 weeks and they were installed . not 6 months but this is not the first I have heard of such a delay on windows as of late .even my building magazine's I read. have wrote articles about the long delays on windows right now. im not sure but im thinking it the glass supply that delaying them up.
psypher
Golden Member

Re: vinyl replacement windows double pane glass

Post by psypher »

Yes, all over the country, vinyl windows are 3-6 months delayed. Vinyl supply chain got hit hard, just like everything else in the building industry. Demand on everything is through the roof and supply is either short due to the pandemic or short due to the massive demand.
All that money that people aren't spending on vacations, clothing, eating out, etc... it's all going into their houses. It's not the glass. I can get wood framed windows in 3 weeks, demand for those are still low as usual :) Personally, I think it's crazy to get into a major renovation or even building a new house right now. A new house could cost you close to +30K more due to the skyrocketing prices of lumber.
reno

Post by reno »

psypher- yes were having supply shortage getting Electrical wire and supply's. also major appliances. cost of goods are going up like gasoline. my partner who in New York state me and him have been talking. jokingly but not completely joking of sending 250 and 500 rolls of12/2 and 14 /2 wire to him .there a shortage and Home depot prices are like 25 % less then the electrical supply house when you can even fine wire . my partner in long Island ,new york and a snowbird here .its hitting all the trades hard . right now im stock piled with kitchen faucets but. im sure my small pile (5 units) wont last long . im still doing handyman work in my condo complex . we wont start a job unless I have all parts needed. last week we needed a toilet repair flange and my client had to use amazon to get one. do to home depot and my suppliers being out of stock even online. :(
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Building an investment home last couple of months. Concrete block. My contractor is having some minor shortages, but nothing major. It's manifesting more in limited color choices. For instance: Instead of the usual dozen shingle colors, manufacturers are cranking out 3 color types to keep stock up, and everything else is back order. Same for gutters and soffits: Availability is okay as long as you don't mind brown or white.

My wife usually likes to use brass plumbing fixtures and door knobs, but they were going out of style even before Covid and are pretty scarce now, so everything in this house is stainless/chrome.

We're going to the custom cabinet maker's showroom next week, and I suspect we'll be seeing some limitations of color and style choices as well.

Appliances have the long back order times. We got those ordered early because they were warning us about up to 4 month lead times.

Toilet styles and colors were also limited. You're okay as long as you go white. The wife usually doesn't like white, but we're theming this house in white/gray to accommodate.

Prices are all over direct from plumber or lighting supplier. I'm having better luck buying myself mail order from Home Depot, Amazon, and Build.com.
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

reno

Post by reno »

good'luck FP on finding supplies. even entry doors are back log .one of the contractors who installs a bunch of the windows for owners here in my condo complex .he also did my unit for me has said there becoming a problem to get. entry doors in my complex are different in the fact the hinges are on the outside . the entry doors swing out to the elements .so your storm door installed inside your unit. and open into your living room or you use a roll up retractable screen . a basic no thill door can run $1200.00 installed here without any glass in it.im talking a normal $200 metal slab door in michigan .but there $300 to $400.here due to the hinges not counting cost of lock set or insulation . I won't even install a door here in the complex due to how screwed up it is to frame and square it takes 6 to 8 hours min. then add on the $200 building permit cost the county tacks on that's required .