Lightning

Kick Back and Relax in the Cheers! Forum. Thoughts on life or want advice or thoughts from other pca members. Or just plain "chill". Originator of da Babe threads.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Lightning

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Heck of a lightning storm last night. Power blinked off several times, but never long enough for the generator to kick in.

When it was all over, the server started emailing me that half the Wifi access points in the house were not responding. Did a survey and found three GFI outlets had tripped, and a GFI breaker. No damage that I can find, though.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Re: Lightning

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Well I solved a mystery today. Last night, when we briefly lost power I'd lose the gaming PC, but not the workstation, even though it shares a UPS with my workstation.

I traced cables to make darn sure it's actually plugged into the battery side of the UPS, and it is.

After checking some model numbers it looks like I accidentally swapped UPS units between my server and my workstation when I moved into this house.

These are the nice high end APCs with digital displays. The UPS on my workstation is a 1000 VA model, which APC specs at 600 watts, and I confirmed that with the workstation on idle (drawing around 125 watts) and the gaming rig playing a game (480+ watts) I'm probably exceeding capacity, or damn close to it, even though it wasn't giving me any warnings. Wasn't a problem with the GTX 1080, but the RTX 3080 is a power monster.

The server is hooked up, all by itself, to a 1350VA UPS that APC specs at 810 watts. So yeah, I need to swap them. May even need to get separate ones for the workstation and gaming PC.

My network switch, gateway and modem are also on battery backups, and Comcast has gotten pretty good about power backups on their nodes, so I almost never lose Internet during a power outage.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Yup. Swapped them and checked the status display on the UPS and while playing a game on the gaming PC, and the workstation at idle, the UPS is reporting a 675 watt load.

reno
The artist formerly known as Renovation

Post by reno »

if you don't have one installed in your fuse box . id get a whole house surge protector .found this out up north in are home .after rebuilding are hot tub twice do to power surges . well worth the price of this item . here one type - https://www.homedepot.com/p/Eaton-Whole ... /204761136 this is the type we have installed in are Square D breaker box. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Square-D-QO ... /100202111
Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

I have the nice 1500 APC just for my gaming rig and it's accessories. 3 more APC 1500s run my full rack.
------------------------------------------